model engineers....... I need you here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
I think it means your flywheel needs to be heavy enough to carry the piston through the upstroke. Balanced weight, to begin with. Counterweight to the piston and connecting rod is another story.

mckutzy

Reaction score
On the one I built, The fly wheel was a piece of cold finished 1" 1/4" round bar, about 3/4 thick, faced both sides on a lathe just to make it flat. The axle was a bolt that fit the center hole, brazed to hold in place.

The flywheel weight doesnt need to be offseted, the spinning mass will carry it along just fine. Just what TS4wd said.
like a balanced tire once spinning has a good enough mass to keep it spinning on an axle for a while till friction stops it.

mckutzy

Reaction score
IF you want Ill try to find my little engine and post some pics, at least you have some others for reference.

It wasnt finished but I got most of it done.
I started this about 15years ago in high school.

DMCdesign

Master Apprentice
Reaction score
Tuesday! Tuesday! Tuesday!

got y'all more progress, the stirling engine has been going good. what should I use for the displacer? Presently it is cardboard

Photo0041.jpg

mckutzy

Reaction score
What is a displacer?
So what kind of engine are we talking about here, air/steam reciprocating engines or atmospheric engines?

B.M.800

TheBeal.
Reaction score
Instead of a compressed air engine why not try to build a internal combustion engine? Here is one that I have currently under construction that is my own design it is a rotary valve four cycle engine that has pressurized lubrication and is water cooled it is a stationary engine prototype that I have made on my lathe and mill.

UUuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhh....

I think... that might just need its very own thread.
or did I miss it?

That is cool.

{EDIT} Sorry, Im not improving apon the original topic here. I couldnt help myself...

DMCdesign

Master Apprentice
Reaction score
never mind! Sorry for being out, it was my b'day and I had other things to do too. Now for the stirling- I have chosen a convinient walking beam design with a vertical displacer cylinder and a horizontal power cylinder (or diaphgram). What would the best place to look for small roller bearings? RC cars?

mckutzy

Reaction score
They will do, or could try ones from the wood working supply house, they are used for router bits, pretty small, sometime about 1/4" od.

As what I said before... So what kind of engine are we talking about here, air/steam reciprocating engines or atmospheric engines?

Are you just trying to build somthing, or is there a learning aspect to this, like a project? I have mentioned a good start and there is a few others mentioned too?

DMCdesign

Master Apprentice
Reaction score
kind of an atmospheric engine working with cyclic compression of air that is repeatedly heated and cooled. This should settle it. The frame supports and beams will be made out of steel wire. Walled with tin foil

Status
Not open for further replies.