Mini quad needs alternitive motivation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cbreiter

New member
Messages
215
Reaction score
0
Location
Saskatchewan, Canada
I'm working on a mini quad with a friend of mine, it has a 49cc 2 stroke on it. The problem is (same with most 2 strokes) is that its hard to start, and kinda is lacking on power to take off. I have been looking at 2 possable options. Option #1 is to buy a 79cc preditor and modify the frame to install it, Option #2 is to convert the thing to electric. If anyone has better ideas, please let me know. My friend wants it for his grandson, so it has to be fairly fool proof, and easy to start. I didn't know what would be the best area to post this. Will post pictures shortly.
 

Cbreiter

New member
Messages
215
Reaction score
0
Location
Saskatchewan, Canada


Here are the pictures!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

ML-TOYS

New member
Messages
2,908
Reaction score
19
Location
long island, new york
If you switch to a predator then you have to change the rear sprocket too. Also the output shaft is higher on the predator so keep in mind that in your first pic the lower part of chain is going to get closer to the frame than it is now.
It would probably be a good swap but like all the 2 strokes like that one if you swap the carb with a new one you will more than likely get the power back and the easy starting.
 

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
73
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
The 49cc is great for a young kid but, as they get older, they want a bit more speed...

I'm in two minds as to whether you shoud fix/improve the 49cc or just change to the 79cc now; as ML_TOYS stated, you will need to modify the frame in some way, whether it be as simple as installing a chain roller... but, you'll probably need to mod the upper frame to make the engine fit...
 

Cbreiter

New member
Messages
215
Reaction score
0
Location
Saskatchewan, Canada
I was thinking that I may have to drop the engine plate some to put the 79cc in. Keeping the 49cc would be a good option, except that the top tab to bolt the rewind to is broken off the engine, hence the zip tie in pic 3. So you have to hold in on the rewind while pulling it over so it doesn't jump. Other than that, the engine runs alright when you can get it to start, goes like crazy once wound up (goes faster than my baja mini), even with me (over 150 lbs) riding on it. The other thing to consider is that the grandkid is 1.5 yr old now. My friend is hoping to have him on it by when he's 3, so it needs to be something easy to start, and s high top speed isn't really important.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

Axx3d

New member
Messages
458
Reaction score
2
Location
MN
If the only thing wrong with it is the recoil can you retap where the bolt goes? or even drill it out and put a longer bolt/nut in to keep it in place?
 

Cbreiter

New member
Messages
215
Reaction score
0
Location
Saskatchewan, Canada
At the top part of the rewind the whole shield is broken off on the engine, including the mounting for the bolt. I wish it was as simple as drilling it out. My buddy does aluminum welding, but isn't sure if he can weld the cast aluminum to add a tab so we can bolt the rewind up.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

Cbreiter

New member
Messages
215
Reaction score
0
Location
Saskatchewan, Canada
It kinda looked like a co2 bottle, but I wasn't sure what it was supposed to do, or if they actually worked.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

Flying Z

New member
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Location
Pittsboro, NC
I've actually already ordered a new carb, and pull start for this one.

I was gonna suggest going electric, considering it will be for a very young child. 250 watt motor at 24 volts should move him right along. Should be easier to limit top speed also. Good luck with it.
 

Bagograss

New member
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Location
Alberta canada
Does anyone know what ratio to mix the fuel at for these? It was a used bike and it doesn't seem to be printed anywhere on it.



I have the same motor in a mini chopper I just built the mix for it is 25:1 I think the model number for that motor is 1PE40F-6 if you need to order parts. I have a fresh carb on mine and it's easy to start but if it gets flooded it's terrible to get going again.
 

doggerss

New member
Messages
51
Reaction score
0
The quality oil has a lot to do with it as well. I run 32:1 in all my bikes with quality oil. some oils can be run at 50:1 but any time you change the ratio it should be rejetted for it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top