Mini Jeep engine help

bparker

Reaction score
I am a first time poster and looking forward to learning from the group. My son, Bryson is 10 years old and has a mini Jeep. Unfortunately, the motor has stopped working and has no compression after only 1 year of use.

I have taken the motor out of the Jeep and I am curious as to any recommendations you might have for a “more reliable” motor?
I know welding and lots of work would be required, but I would love to learn from someone who has more knowledge than I do.

thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_6890.jpeg
    IMG_6890.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6891.jpeg
    IMG_6891.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6915.jpeg
    IMG_6915.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6922.jpeg
    IMG_6922.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6921.jpeg
    IMG_6921.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 18

BaconBitRacing

Reaction score
A more reliable engine would be a predator 212, Honda, or Ducar 212. Just know that adding an industrial style engine like a 212 will be lots of work.

I just bought 2 of those myself.
Did? Better start a thread on right now Denny. That is of course, if you know how to operate a camera :lolgoku:

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
A 212 ain’t going to cut it in this particular situation. It will need at least a 420 & electric start and a fnr transmission. In my opinion the Honda engine that it is based on is one durable piece. What kills them is idling for long periods of time or driving at slow speeds. Because there is no fan they overheat and kill the cylinder walls and piston. They make an aftermarket oil cooler and lines for these engines that are quite easy to install and help to keep the engine cooler. Also the addition of an under hood fan blowing at the cooling fins on the cylinder and head is a big help too. There’s just not enough air movement under those things to keep the engine cool. Is the engine on yours front or rear mounted?

bparker

Reaction score
A 212 ain’t going to cut it in this particular situation. It will need at least a 420 & electric start and a fnr transmission. In my opinion the Honda engine that it is based on is one durable piece. What kills them is idling for long periods of time or driving at slow speeds. Because there is no fan they overheat and kill the cylinder walls and piston. They make an aftermarket oil cooler and lines for these engines that are quite easy to install and help to keep the engine cooler. Also the addition of an under hood fan blowing at the cooling fins on the cylinder and head is a big help too. There’s just not enough air movement under those things to keep the engine cool. Is the engine on yours front or rear mounted?
Rear mounted.
Rear mounted

bparker

Reaction score
The original motor is a 154FMi Chinese made motor. If I replace it with the same motor then I will definitely look into an oil cooler kit. That would be helpful for sure.

Big Bob

Reaction score
Although it would be a lot of fabrication, you could go with a gas golf cart transaxle and torque converter drive. Hook a bigger engine to it. The golf cart transaxles are pretty reliable and have Forward/Neutral/Reverse.

Big Bob

Reaction score
There’s not enough room for all that under it. These things run over 40 mph. And even used parts the cost would be prohibitive!
Got ya. How about these?

Attachments

• IMG_3324.png
    IMG_3324.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3325.png
    IMG_3325.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 5

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
The one on the left is what I’m suggesting. Except he needs to find one with reverse also. The 250 is way too tall to fit. Those engines are pretty easy to work on if it just needs a jug and piston or valve and head work.