mini full suspension go-kart build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Themurraykart

Reaction score
Well its basically a go-kart haha! Me and several of my friends who like worki g on are gokarts have sold them all an are dwindling down to one simple go-kart. My murray karts problem is its size and weight, it is to big for my honda clone and isnt fun to ride. My friends gokart problem is its a kids go kart and all 3 of us our over 6 feet tall. So we wanted something small, portable, lightweight, and fast as h*ll! About 6 months ago we saw a ad on craigslist that was selling a broken mini atv for 75$. We bought it and removed the engine, body, and electrical stuff. The plan is to install our 212cc predator and remove as much unnessisary weight as possible. Without the engine it weighs about 70-80 lbs and we will shed another 5 lbs off of that. Some nice features are hydrolic disk break, full suspension, and 16 inch knoby tires. TheeThe engine weighs about 30 pounds with the gas tank removed. It will probably end up weighing 120 lbs hopefully. The rear sproket is a 420 37 tooth with a 10 tooth clutch top speed will be around 45mph. This is the reason I want to shed as much weight as possible, too much weight and I'll burn up cutches and not be able to go up hills. But afrer inflating the tires to 35 psi the thing rolled 15 feet after a small push on gravel. I wd40 all moving parts generously for the past 3 days, this took care of all squealing and the rolling resistance is almost non-existent. I am going to buy a clutch today and hopefully have the thing done next weekend!

OzFab

Reaction score
The rear sproket is a 420 37 tooth with a 10 tooth clutch top speed will be around 45mph. This is the reason I want to shed as much weight as possible, too much weight and I'll burn up cutches and not be able to go up hills.

With that gearing you'll be burning out clutches on a downhill start; 3.7:1 is about halfway to what you need

But afrer inflating the tires to 35 psi the thing rolled 15 feet after a small push on gravel.

In the long term, the only thing this will achieve is faster wearing tyres; the centre will wear out in a matter of days due to over inflation & the outer edges will still be like new

I wd40 all moving parts generously for the past 3 days, this took care of all squealing and the rolling resistance is almost non-existent.

WD40 is a "quick fix" & meant as a temporary solution; after an hour or two of riding it will either burn off or collect dust & dirt which leads to faster wearing parts. If you really want to fix the problem, break out the wrenches & a tub of grease

Status
Not open for further replies.