Mini dune buggy project!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Themurraykart

Reaction score
Hey guys. Yesterday I bought a Murray explorer go-kart for 75$. I bought it without a roll-cage, seat or engine. Everything else is there. I plan on making it look like a mini dune buggy. Ive been spending the last two days with my friends disassembling the entire thing and scraping all the rust off with rotating metal brushes. Today I bought some things we will need. Rustolium primer, black spray paint, WD-40, 3-in-1, and nut locker. We are planning on buying a small motorcycle engine (250-400cc) for this project. We want to use trailer tires/small car tires as rear wheels and stock as front. I do not think a suspension would be possible because we would need metal shafts to make a shifter for the motorcycle engine. We are getting a custom roll-cage welded in the form of a dune buggy. I am hoping to also make it a enclosed cab. We need to know more about how to paint properly, and how to set up a motorcycle engine to the go-kart. I have a car garage and have restored an old truck and own many go-karts so tools will not be a problem. Please tell me your thoughts!

Themurraykart

Reaction score

fowler

Reaction score
pics dont work

i dont get why u cant have suspension?
a simple rear swing arm and single a arm front would be easy

it will be pretty rough without it and wont handle that well

and to set up a bike engine u just have to mount it useing all the points and make sure it is lined up perfectly with the rear sprocket as u dont get any adjustment

then u just have to hok up the clutcth, throttle and choke (cables)
and the shifter (solid or cable)

Themurraykart

Reaction score
I am thinking I will go with a suspension...what is a good plan for front suspension?
Will post pictures today

fowler

Reaction score
a version of that suspension will work fine

as for the rear

that is simple but not a good option
it will shake your engine to bits and cause a rough ride due to too much unsprung wieght

u can mount the engine inside the body then line the rear suspension up with the engine sproket and u will have a much better result

also that engine will work fine but u should understand that is not a full engine there is no exhaust or carbeis and limmited

i reckon an old dirt bike or snow moble would be the way to go

fowler

Reaction score
the easyest would acctually be a bike type

the swing arm isjust behind the engine so the chain will loosen when u go over a bump but u can run a chain tensoiner and it will be bugger all slack in the sceme of things

just google "rear swing arm dirt bike"

edit

oh wait theres this
http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=8113&highlight=cm250&page=6
thats my first attempt at a kart
taught me alot

Themurraykart

Reaction score
Me and my friends drive our karts on every type of terrain. I wanted a well rounded tire/rim that isn't quite a knobby tire, but not a slick go kart tire either. Car tires fit that category in all aspects and are cheap, widely available, and MUCH longer lasting. I found a fairly nice pair on Craigslist for 50$. How would I mount these to my 1 inch axle is the biggest issue???

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/pts/2607110827.html

Last edited:

Blazkowiez

Kart Aficionado
Reaction score
Be warned that the frame on that kart is actually fairly thin, it might not hold up to the engine despite how "sturdy" it looks. That being said I look forward to seeing the progress.

ryf

Reaction score
go to a tire dealership and ask for snow tires for a small car, you can get 4 on 4 bolt hubs and trailer rims in 12" 13" and 14" this would be cheap and easy and smaller, a jeep tire is pretty big and a 1" axle might not like that rotational mass and will likely bend easily with that much leverage even with suspension. 13" is probably the most common, 14" you can get truckish tires etc. IMO though.. you need to use atv tires, yes they cost more, but you clearly are not looking at the metal engineering loads in your design, and if you want to run car tires you need to have built a stronger base IMO. the biggest tire I would run on the frame I see there is a wide rim trailer tire 8" or 10" rim or golf cart tire style. jeep tires that size are at least 25"+ diameter and will weigh alot since they are steel wheels 60lbs min each. 250cc isn't really enough for that to be fast and torquey IMO no matter the gearing your adding enough weight to the tires, and will have to add enough to the frame, that they will not really be much fun long term. I hope you figure out your machine and have some fun, good luck.

Themurraykart

Reaction score
Yesterday I bought a 90amp welder from hf. I am practicing welding and I think I am getting better. It is a flux wire welder and I really need some tips on welding from you guys. As I said above I am welding a roll cage together for this mini buggy. What size of metal should I use for roll cage? And from what I have been hearing I will need to reinforce the origonal murray Frame also. I guess I am going to stick with the stock rims and replace the one rear tire that is blown...I am adding pictures tonight!

Themurraykart

Reaction score
The picture above is my rough drawing of what I am planning making it look like. The yellow is sheet metal and black is fame.

Status
Not open for further replies.