Milwaukee 1 1/2" Rotary Hammer carbon brushes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

supermanotorious

Winchmaster 5000
Reaction score
My neighbor loaned me his rotary hammer drill to set all those T posts for my fence project. As I drilled the last one sparks came out of the casing and the hammer died.

I messed around in my garage and cleaned the brushes with a file and once together the drill briefly fired back up. I believe new brushes will bring it back to life but I cant seem to find them online. Can you find them? Do you have them?

They seem to be a double spring unit. The carbon brush has a flat coiled spring pushing it into the wind, then it also has a tiny little "normal" spring loaded (brush) that is burrowed in the face of it

Attachments

• IMG_6754.jpg
    IMG_6754.jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 11

anickode

Reaction score
Odds are, Milwaukee still sells them too.

If the brushes were glazed, the commutator may be glazed and scored too. Most of these heavy duty tools were made so the commutators have enough meat to turn them on a lathe a couple times to get more life out of them.

supermanotorious

Winchmaster 5000
Reaction score
yes, the service armature is worn, I dont know if it could be turned on a lathe. Thanks for the help, I'll probably order the brushes.

Attachments

• IMG_6755.jpg
    IMG_6755.jpg
    486.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6756.jpg
    IMG_6756.jpg
    450.6 KB · Views: 10

anickode

Reaction score
yes, the service armature is worn, I dont know if it could be turned on a lathe. Thanks for the help, I'll probably order the brushes.

I would look into getting that commutator cleaned up. If they can, then get it done. New brushes by themselves probably won't last long, and the decreased contact patch will increase heat and arcing, which will damage the commutator further, possibly irreparably if it isn't already. If they say it's already beyond resurfacing, just throw the brushes on and run it till it lets the smoke out.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
well.. they* not only carry brushes as spare.. they also have a new armature for you in case the commutator is worn out or a winding melted down or something.

So yeah, if you like, you can make it "as good as new"

Just make sure it's the correct model, the brushes are identical amongst all models I was able to find if I'm not mistaking.. haven't checked the armature though.

'sid

*the repairparts hop I linked above

supermanotorious

Winchmaster 5000
Reaction score
Yeah I cant believe this dinosaur died in my care. These are not cheap to replace. I've had it since May and he came over for a beer last night. He actually asked me if he could use it soon for some fencing he wants to do and I said yeah of course. So yeah- a temp repair so it breaks down on him is fine by me. Although I'll probably tell him the problem cause I don't want to hose my good nabe.

ezcome-ezgo

G'me sumthin to write on
Reaction score
"Here's your hammer drill."
"Thanks good neighbor."

Starts drilling...
Sparks fly, drill smokes and quits.

"Gosh that's a shame. At least my wonderful neighbor got some good use out of it."

supermanotorious

Winchmaster 5000
Reaction score
I reckon it will work quite a while longer, in fact I'll need to borrow it again, the problem seems pretty simple now. All I did was put the whole armature in the drill press and hit the commutator with AL ox sand paper till the copper was super shiny again

the brushes have a lot of life left in them

Status
Not open for further replies.