Military Mule M274

MickeyJ2

Reaction score
I’m looking for plans to build an M274, Viet Nam era, military “Mule””. I used one of these in my military days to transport just about anything you can imagine. I’ve seen several peoples version of these, but have yet to see one that replicates the features I’m looking for. I plan on using a Koehler 25 hp engine and a hydrostatic differential from a garden tractor for the main power system. I’m also looking at adding a hydraulic pump and operating system for use with any accessories I might need, such as a fork lift, snow blade, front end loader, plow, etc…. Any suggestions or pointing me in the right directions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

vpd66

Reaction score
Those military "mules" were really cool. I'm surprised more people aren't trying to replicate them. How are you planing on powering all 4 wheels with a hydrostatic garden tractor transaxle?

MickeyJ2

Reaction score
I’ll probably go with 2 wheel rear drive unless I can come up with a viable option for 4 wheel drive.

vpd66

Reaction score
I would say 4x4 would be a must! LOL Take a look at this build.
watch
This uses Subaru drive train and a 420 Predator engine. It is very close to a M274 but it is articulate steering.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
You could probably get a 4 speed manual with transfer case out of a old Chevy or Ford truck for a couple hundred.

MickeyJ2

Reaction score
Have a friend that has an old Terra Jet he might be willing to trade me. That would make a great start for a drive system also.

accuratemike

Reaction score
Here's mine
It was fun to build and has been working for many years. Mike