Mikuni on Briggs 5hp

Vtdad28

Reaction score
Anybody do a Mikuni swap on a Briggs 5hp while using a 15 degree mount? I contacted Ec carburetors and they said they don’t make the correct intake anymore because more people use them on mini bikes than race karts. So looking for anybody who has found a different brand. Thanks

Attachments

• BB9FD8CA-91D8-4FD0-BB1C-606E9481D7AA.png
    BB9FD8CA-91D8-4FD0-BB1C-606E9481D7AA.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 5

BaconBitRacing

Reaction score
Why a Mikuni? I’m just trying to understand the whole carb swap phenomenon. Was it a meth motor?

Vtdad28

Reaction score
Why a Mikuni? I’m just trying to understand the whole carb swap phenomenon. Was it a meth motor?
Doesn’t necessarily have to be a Mikuni, they are just reasonably priced and people say very easy to tune on hand. I have 6/7 of the originals for rebuilds or parts, just looking for some more cheap upgrades. Tilliston is outta my price range lol. Also yes it is methanol, I bought new jets so I can run gas at least while I figure out what I wanna do. I actually haven't even started it so putting the kart before the horse like always, but isn’t that what makes it fun haha

BaconBitRacing

Reaction score
Doesn’t necessarily have to be a Mikuni, they are just reasonably priced and people say very easy to tune on hand. I have 6/7 of the originals for rebuilds or parts, just looking for some more cheap upgrades. Tilliston is outta my price range lol
Just make sure you have an engine starter, or you’ll have to do the dreaded drill start. These engines have too much compression to easily pull start, even though every good flattie builder will tell you “it‘s about flow, not compression.” Opposite with predators, big compression, OHV is better for compression than flattie. One suggestion, read up on this: https://4cycle.com/karting/forums/building-a-flathead-jimmy-glenn.94/

Vtdad28

Reaction score
Just make sure you have an engine starter, or you’ll have to do the dreaded drill start. These engines have too much compression to easily pull start, even though every good flattie builder will tell you “it‘s about flow, not compression.” Opposite with predators, big compression, OHV is better for compression than flattie. One suggestion, read up on this: https://4cycle.com/karting/forums/building-a-flathead-jimmy-glenn.94/
That’s a good read! This one will need a starter, I talked to the builders daughter and he is supposed to give me a call back so I can see what exactly is done to it without opening it up. The other one I am building is going to be very mild and will be a pull start. Figured I gotta get the wife on one haha

Vtdad28

Reaction score
Found one! Out of stock at the moment but the guy said they should be in by the end of the week. Going to try and get it running with carb that is on it first but glad I found a good alternative

Attachments

• E1EC27BF-BAAE-49E5-A158-40919A29284A.png
    E1EC27BF-BAAE-49E5-A158-40919A29284A.png
    431.6 KB · Views: 5