MIG wire sputtering

Status
Not open for further replies.

exenos

Project Nut
Reaction score
When ever I am welding with a setting below the max (90 amp) with my MIG it starts sputtering. The wire is burned up quickly then extends until it arcs again and then burns up quickly and it just repeats. I've tried changing the wire speed, lowering the gas rate and adjusting the drive roller tension and nothing makes a difference. This is very annoying because I only use the MIG for thin stuff, where I need the lower power. I use the Arc for every thing else.

So any suggestions?

exenos

Project Nut
Reaction score
The tip was just replaced a month ago and the metal I was testing with was clean, it does this with any type of metal. I was wondering about the ground, I just have it clipped to my welding table and place my work on top of it, although it still sputtered when i tried a bead on the table itself.

OzFab

Reaction score
If I didn't know better I'd say it was wire speed. I sometimes get the same problem with my gasless; the wire speed control can be very sensitive. What brand welder is it?

exenos

Project Nut
Reaction score
It's a 90 amp Weldmate, probably a Chinese brand because i had never heard of it until I got this. I've tried playing around with the wire speed but I might as well give it an other try.

OzFab

Reaction score
It's a 90 amp Weldmate, probably a Chinese brand because i had never heard of it until I got this. I've tried playing around with the wire speed but I might as well give it an other try.

Try running the torch with one hand & adjust the speed with the other while it's running. When it's buzzing nicely, stop :)

Even though its says its not made for it, get some .023 wire and tips and try that. Helps out with thin material

Good point. Thinner wire helps when using thinner material. Does your machine have a double groove feeder bearing? What thickness material are you welding?

exenos

Project Nut
Reaction score
Well I went out and played around with the settings on the MIG and got no where. The only good thing that happened was that I had ran out of wire, replaced the spool and the sputtering seems to be a little bit better, I can now use the 70 amp setting without much sputtering. As for the material thickness that I'm using, it's ~1/16. But it still sputters with heavier material also.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
I do a lot more FCAW than GMAW, but I do use 16ga a lot (about 1/16"). I use 0.035 wire for performing FCAW on 16ga- but I think 0.035 wire is too thick for 16ga using GMAW.

exenos

Project Nut
Reaction score
Hmm, Interesting I just found out today that my arc makes a nicer weld than the MIG on my 1/16 material. I'm at ~40 amps, would this be enough for full penetration? I don't have much experience with thin material.

Status
Not open for further replies.