Methanol Oil???

AmishMike

Reaction score
Go with a decent synthetic, and expect to change it regularly. From what I remember in dragsters, we changed every run because it would wash down pretty bad.

anderkart

Reaction score
I used Royal Purple brand strait 40 weight in my Methional fueled, 357cc. Tecumseh Star racing engines, just because it was recommended by the shop that blueprinted my engines.

I used to change the oil after every night of racing, because the extremely rich, carburetor jetting mixture required for methional fuel tended to wash down past the rings and pollute the oil. I used to drain the old oil out at the track right after my final race, when the engine was still warm.

I don't know what brand (or weight) of oil is best for your methanol engine, but you could research older threads & post your own thread at a racekart forum called bobs4cycle.com and probably get some really good advice from guys that currently race engines just like yours... (y)

65ShelbyClone

Reaction score
If you're talking about a four cycle engine, look for kart racing suppliers. Many of the racing classes require methanol fuel. If you're talking about a two cycle, look for kart racing suppliers. You'll need an oil designed to mix without quickly separating.

With as violent as methanol is,

Violent? Are you perhaps thinking of nitromethane?

65ShelbyClone

Reaction score
It can do that and when it does, engine parts end up in the grandstands. It doesn't do that under desirable conditions.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Sure it does! Except it does it in a more controlled manor when the timing and mixture are right. When the timing is a little to advanced for the mixture, or a little to retarded for the mixture that things get real bad real fast!