Mega Moto 212 w Tilly- stock carb is gone

JMP320

Reaction score
Hello and thanks in advance,

I just put together my first mini bike and I don’t think the TC is working right. Only goes 10-12 mph. Will you take a look and see if anything looks out of the ordinary?

thanks again!
J

BrownStainRacing

Reaction score
Hello and thanks in advance,

I just put together my first mini bike and I don’t think the TC is working right. Only goes 10-12 mph. Will you take a look and see if anything looks out of the ordinary?

thanks again!
J
Yea, that's not right.
Pull the driver (clutch) off and check the inside.
The weights maybe in wrong.
Flat side towards the engine.

Is the belt on right???

The 30 series belts only goes on 1 way.

BrownStainRacing

Reaction score

JMP320

Reaction score
Yea, that's not right.
Pull the driver (clutch) off and check the inside.
The weights maybe in wrong.

Is the belt on right???

The 30 series belts only goes on 1 way.
Yes belt is in correctly, flat side toward engine. I will go pull the driver.

BrownStainRacing

Reaction score
That's right.

Have you check to make sure you have full throttle???
Emgine off. With twist grip at full throttle, look down and see if the stop tab is hitting the throttle stop screw.

Did you unscrew the throttle stop screw??
Here you go.
Throttle tab and throttle stop screw.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230505_180050_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230505_180050_Chrome.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5

JMP320

Reaction score
That's right.

Have you check to make sure you have full throttle???
Engine off. With twist grip at full throttle, look down and see if the stop tab is hitting the throttle stop screw.

Did you unscrew the throttle stop screw??
Yes throttle stop is turned out as far as it can go and not fall out. Looks like I need to add a throttle return spring cuz I have to force it back to idle.

I already have a vm22 ready to install but I wanted to try it “stock” first. Maybe I should just install it? Will it make a big difference if I don't remove the governor?

BrownStainRacing

Reaction score
Don't do the vm22 til you get it right with what you got.
It is not a drop in, 1 size fits all part.

Is that 10 mm nut ( in the middle) loose enough to allow the throttle to return?? That lil spring works jus fine. I have never had to use another spring.

BrownStainRacing

Reaction score
@JMP320
My phone speaker is scratchy and I cant tell, in your video, if you are getting full throttle or not. What do you think??

Or get a pic of throttle assembly with grip at full throttle.

JMP320

Reaction score
Don't do the vm22 til you get it right with what you got.
It is not a drop in, 1 size fits all part.

Is that 10 mm nut ( in the middle) loose enough to allow the throttle to return?? That lil spring works jus fine. I have never had to use another spring.
yeah that nut was really tight I did loosen a bit. I’ll try a little more and double check the throttle cable. It sounded like the governor was kicking in. I’m calling it a night and will pick up in the morning. Thanks for your help, I’ll keep researching.

JMP320

Reaction score
I was watching a YouTube video and realized what I did… I INSTALLED THE DRIVER WITH THE WEIGHTS FACING THE BELT. 😑😂😂
Went out and installed correctly and took it for a ride. WOOHOO this thing rips! Tomorrow I’ll finish putting the plastic sand headlight. The first 20-30% of throttle is pretty dead so that’s the next bug to work out.

BrownStainRacing

Reaction score
I was watching a YouTube video and realized what I did… I INSTALLED THE DRIVER WITH THE WEIGHTS FACING THE BELT. 😑😂😂
Went out and installed correctly and took it for a ride. WOOHOO this thing rips! Tomorrow I’ll finish putting the plastic sand headlight. The first 20-30% of throttle is pretty dead so that’s the next bug to work out.
😆 🤣 😂 😹 😆

Glad to hear that.

There's a couple small adjustments that tilly will need to "get on up".

Enjoy it a few days, then we will get to those.

BaconBitRacing

Reaction score
Welcome! I’m glad your problem was fixed. Check out Bansil’s threads on his Mega Moto for upgrades and improvements that he did for easy low speed riding and good field speed.

BrownStainRacing

Reaction score
Don't let anybody know you put the driver together wrong.

If they ask, jus tell them.......you was polishing the weights, .......with the belt 😆 🤣 😂 😹 😆 🤣 😂

Bansil

Painter of gnomes....
Reaction score
Yes throttle stop is turned out as far as it can go and not fall out. Looks like I need to add a throttle return spring cuz I have to force it back to idle.

I already have a vm22 ready to install but I wanted to try it “stock” first. Maybe I should just install it? Will it make a big difference if I don't remove the governor?
If you have any questions, ask

I am at Revision 1 right now, it works great for me here, just posted a video

I am researching rev 2, which involves the driven

JMP320

Reaction score
If you have any questions, ask

I am at Revision 1 right now, it works great for me here, just posted a video

I am researching rev 2, which involves the driven
Just watched your video, looks like you’ve got everything dialed in perfectly. Not sure what you mean by revision 1 or 2 but your tc is grabbing right away and that’s what I want as well. I did go ahead and install the vm22 copy today and like the throttle control much better.

That was after I slid in an inner tube cuz I popped the rear tire on Tuesday last week haha. Tried to slime it but it was too big. Any recommendations on good heavy duty tires???

Last Q for now: how far can I take this engine before I have to start changing internals?

Attachments

• IMG_4628.jpeg
    IMG_4628.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 5

panchothedog

Reaction score
Not a whole lot. Ratio rockers, but you still have to get into the valve train.
Red Beards Garage has a group of videos titled " the road to horsepower ".
Starts with a stock engine, makes a modification and runs it on a dyno. Next video adds another mod, another dyno pull, ect. ect. Six or seven in all. VERY
informative. Lets you how much power each piece is worth. His engine building
videos are also excellent. Good step by step stuff on how to do anything you want to do to one of these small engines.