• OFF TOPIC fun forum - NO politics - NO religion - NO jerks. It's not complicated. Thanks!

massey ferguson 35 tractor

Status
Not open for further replies.

robbie

Reaction score
I bought a Massey Ferguson 35 tractor at an auction a few weeks ago, and I haven't yet been able to start it. It had water damage in the carburetor, so I replaced it with a new one. I connected the fuel line to a small lawnmower gas tank to make sure there wasn't any obstruction. I replaced the cap, rotor and wires and cleaned the points and verified that there is consistent spark at all four plugs. It cranks and sparks, but it just doesn't start up. I even shot starting fluid into the spark plug holes, and it doesn't fire.

When I bought the tractor I talked to a guy at the auction who knew the old man who had owned it. He said he remembered this tractor running about 5 years ago before it was parked. So there probably isn't any serious issue with the engine. I noticed that there is no corrosion on any of the spark plugs, and I even cranked the engine with the plugs removed to compare the sound and speed. It is obvious that the engine has compression. I even removed the air filter hose from the carburetor and cranked it with my hand over the carb intake to make sure it was sucking air. It was.

If this was your tractor, what would you look at next? These things are so simple, I'm amazed it hasn't started yet.

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Reaction score
These tractors are AWESOME! My dad has a 135 as a yard tractor, pretty much the newer model.
Didn't realise they made petrol ones!

I would get a compression tester and get an actual reading. Make sure you have a good battery too. She may crank, but there might not be quite enough juice.

robbie

Reaction score
I tried it again, using one freshly charged battery for the coil and another for the starter. I had one spark plug out and my finger in the hole, so I could watch the spark and compare it to the cylinder timing. It sparked at the right time, which means I hadn't put wire #1 on the wrong terminal. I used a squeeze bulb to shoot a little bit of gasoline into each cylinder through the spark plug hole. Still nothing.

I've seen engines run with virtually no compression at all, and when the gasoline is improperly metered they run like crap, but they run. How could I have a fat spark, gasoline in the cylinder, a brisk cranking speed, and no fire?

newrider3

Reaction score
With an engine that's been sitting for an extended period of time, several valves could be stuck. I usually lube the top end and valves of any motor that's been sitting with ATF through the plug holes and down the intake before even cranking it over, to prevent breaking anything.
I'm not too familiar with with those tractors, is it OHV or L-head? I'd pop the valve cover and check valve action if OHV, or try to check the valves through the plug holes if it's a flathead.

anderkart

Reaction score
Robbie, I'd double check the firing order, replace the condenser, instal a new set of spark plugs. (with most any brand except Champion!!!) And also try dripping a few drops of motor oil down into the spark plug holes, all around the edge of the pistons; because If the carb had a major flooding issue, all that fuel might have washed all the oil from from cylinder walls, that would severely reduce your ring-seal/compression...

robbie

Reaction score
I think I may be on to a solution. I tried starting the tractor again yesterday. I primed the cylinders with gasoline and started cranking. After about 1 revolution the starter disengaged from the flywheel and spun by itself, and I'm pretty sure I smelled just a little bit of exhaust. Probably the gear is worn, and the slightest bit of life from the engine makes it stop cranking.

I'm going to try towing it instead.

robbie

Reaction score
I forgot to update you guys on what the problem was with this tractor. I removed the remanufactured carburetor and found that the float was set so low at the factory that when it was assembled the bowl pushed the needle valve firmly closed. I reset the float, reinstalled the carb, and the engine started instantly. Next time I get a new or rebuilt part, I'll try to remember to inspect it closely myself just to be sure everything is where it should be.

The very first thing that happened after the engine was running for about 10 seconds was a hose failure. It blew a huge hole in the main hydraulic hose from the pump to the valve that controls the front end loader. So I replaced that and now the tractor works pretty well. Today we're going to use it to lift a couple of hogs for butchering.

jamyers

Reaction score
Glad it's working! Sadly, I haven't seen or heard of a parts-store rebuilt or remanufactured carb that wasn't a POS in the last 10-15 years. I think they pay zoo gorillas to do the work with hammers...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robbie

Reaction score
Well, it's working OK now, but I still need to tweak the needle and set the exact timing. I'm also waiting for a sediment bowl/valve assembly from ebay. The voltage regulator is inoperable and disassembled. I think all it will take is swapping that out, and it should start without alligator jumpers, and possibly even charge the battery. It's a pretty nice little tractor. We hung up two hogs on it today for butchering. Long day....

Status
Not open for further replies.