Manco Silver Fox GX200 clone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brutus

New member
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Location
NW Montana
Hello all...

I am new to the Go Kart scene... But not wrenching, my Kart is a Scout 800b

I purchased the Silver-Fox for my son a few years ago. He is now 14 and wants to mod the engine. We live in NW Montana and our roads tend to be dirt, so you can imagine the dust. Anyway, we installed a header, new carb, fuel tank and a KN air filter.

We are having a problem with oil blowing out of the valve cover port. I have researched and found that an inline fuel filter can be connected to the port hose... I shall no ask the "stupid" question... Which direction should the flow be when using this fuel filter as a PCV filter? I imagine that the flow would be into the valve cover.

I would like to note; the kart has a nice speed we have topped it out at 35 mhp with the basic upgrades.

Our next plan is to replace the axle, as it is tweeked, and to remove the guv. I have read that we will need to upgrade the flywheel, if the guv is removed, is this so?

Thanks...

PS I will post some pics when the machine is clean
 

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Messages
5,247
Reaction score
88
Location
Houston Texas
:welcome2:
The direction of flow won't matter, it's just to keep the oil in, but let the engine breathe. No need to replace flywheel, unless you plan on changing valve springs to heavier than stock. Stock springs will only let you review up to a safe 5600-5800rpm, then valve float kicks in to kep from going any higher. The stock flywheel can safely handle that rpm....
Oh, and :welcome2: to DIYGK....
 

Brutus

New member
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Location
NW Montana
So... We installed an inline fuel filter at the valve cover port, filled the engine with oil to the specified amount, and ran it for approx. 5 minutes before the filter filled with oil... it then blew oil out of the filter.

Any suggestions? Perhaps a new engine is needed? Harbor Freight has a 6.5hp 212cc engine for $119.00..
 

2SlickNick

American Minibikes @ FB
Messages
2,758
Reaction score
30
Location
Mesa, AZ.
Sounds like there is too much pressure.... IDK?
What if you let it keep running? how much oil is coming out?
Also try taking a vid, that might help us help you.
 

Brutus

New member
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Location
NW Montana
I will get some video and pics posted this weekend...

Here is more detail in regards to my last post..

My son tells me he was cruising around on the Silver Fox and the breather tube and filter fell off. He says after it fell off grey smoke was blowing out of the breather vent on the valve cover. I ran it for awhile in an attempt to get the grey smoke but it never happened.

I checked the oil level, added some, reattached the breather tube and filter, secured it so it would not dislodge itself. I let it idle for approx 5 minutes, with no problem and shut it down. I should note, the engine starts up on 1 or 2 pulls and runs rather well.

My son took it for a cruise the following day. He drove for 5-10 minutes, that's when the breather tube filter filled up and blew oil.

I will see about doing a compression test.

The kart is driven quite regularly and for hours at a time... It is driven on paved as well as dirt roads..

Anyhow, my next post will include pics and video.

Thank you all for your assistance.
 

Brutus

New member
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Location
NW Montana
This pic was taken before the video... The oil in the filter is from 10 days ago.

The oil level did not rise when the engine was at idle, it did rise when it was throttled.

Thanks again.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1276.jpg
    IMG_1276.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 8

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Messages
9,358
Reaction score
94
Location
COMFORT, TEXAS
Ok I have an idea. When I took off my valve cover to drill it for the fuel pump vacuum fitting, I noticed there is a little flapper or one way damper in there. The cover actually has 2 compartments and the breather comes off the second compartment (I think) and is behind the flapper, Maybe that flapper fell of and is letting oil in. I dunno just a thought and it only 4 screws and a maybe a gasket to check. Oh yeah mine is a Briggs OHV not a gx.
 

2SlickNick

American Minibikes @ FB
Messages
2,758
Reaction score
30
Location
Mesa, AZ.
Just out curiosity... Is that fuel filter turned the right way?
Like the directional arrow for gas flow?
It looks like it is upside down, not allowing the pressure to escape. The directional arrow should point the same way the gases escape.
 

Brutus

New member
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Location
NW Montana
I have had the valve cover off, nothing seems out of the ordinary, no flappers or the like and no debris near the valves.

A friend of mine, who happens to be a motor-head suggests that I might have stuck or damaged piston rings.
 

2SlickNick

American Minibikes @ FB
Messages
2,758
Reaction score
30
Location
Mesa, AZ.
I have had the valve cover off, nothing seems out of the ordinary, no flappers or the like and no debris near the valves.

A friend of mine, who happens to be a motor-head suggests that I might have stuck or damaged piston rings.

Well.... Maybe try that compression test. And or take the head off and have a look-see
 

Half-breeder

"Edit" button removed
Messages
1,686
Reaction score
9
Try using a 'screen' fuel filter... the paper ones are quite restrictive in comparison... not to mention, paper is pretty absorbent and even more flow restrictive when saturated... therefore next to impossible for the oil to flow back into the case, after all your just basically making a catch can vs 'filtering'. Your filter filling w/ oil when reved is an indication that sufficient lubrication is probably reaching the push rods/valves, which is good... however, the oil commin outta the valve cover, is possibly (like Chancer mentioned) an indication of the one way baffle, in the cover, being weak, or basically malfunctioning.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top