Manco Red Fox LXT/Dingo Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Earthy

Reaction score
I picked up a Manco Red Fox LXT last weekend to fix up. I've always liked this style of go kart so I took the plunge when the chance came up. The first task to restore this kart is to fix the steering. One of the previous owners cut the front axles off at the frame and then replaced it with square stock. They also relocated and pedals and turned the spindles around. The current steering is awful and there is no room for my legs to stretch out.

My brother figures he can help me to fab up front axles that are more original, but I can't find and details on the steering geometry or angle of the original axles. All the images online indicate that the front arms bend back and up to the spindle brackets. Any help with the dimensions and angles of these arms would be appreciated.

Here's some pics of the previous owners steering fix:

Last edited:

anickode

Reaction score
Looks like the front axle got damaged, and they lopped it of and scabbed a hunk of square tube across the frame in its stead.

Where you see the cut off bits of round tube just behind the square one is where the axle should be, angled slightly back and up. In order to get it back to its original configuration, you would either have to use an insert and attach some new round tube with the proper bend into the stubs of the old one, or completely cut out the old front axle and make a new one that goes in its place. having it be one continuous piece with no spices would be more ideal from a strength standpoint, but more labor intensive.

Earthy

Reaction score
I had thought about splicing new tube on the end, but I hadn't considered doing a whole one piece replacement. I figured the bends would be tricky enough doing one side at a time. The rough idea so far is to find a length of smaller diameter tube to fit inside where the axle was cut off with some length sticking out for the new axle arm to fit over.

My brother thought his neighbour might be able to help with the angles for the bends since he had a few go karts over the years, but no such luck.

I got the engine going today. It's a 10 hp Tecumseh off of a coleman generator. The throttle linkage that is hooked up to the carburetor and governor arm has a bent nail for a pivot point, and a throttle holder bolted to the metal air cleaner cover.

mrbeggs432

Reaction score
I picked up a Manco Red Fox LXT last weekend to fix up. I've always liked this style of go kart so I took the plunge when the chance came up. The first task to restore this kart is to fix the steering. One of the previous owners cut the front axles off at the frame and then replaced it with square stock. They also relocated and pedals and turned the spindles around. The current steering is awful and there is no room for my legs to stretch out.

My brother figures he can help me to fab up front axles that are more original, but I can't find and details on the steering geometry or angle of the original axles. All the images online indicate that the front arms bend back and up to the spindle brackets. Any help with the dimensions and angles of these arms would be appreciated.

Here's some pics of the previous owners steering fix:

I would think that if you cut off that axle or rebuild and put it on the bottom of the frame you would get better results.

I have used 1" square stock on a few frames and front ends without issues

You may have to modify/extend the pitman arm.

You can always drill/remount your pedals further down the frame for more leg room but may give you issues on cable/rod length.

Im a big boy and have always had to relocate the pedals on my carts.

And again it will depend on what kind of tools and equipment you have around the garage

Earthy

Reaction score
My brother is a licensed mechanic and owns his own shop, so tools and equipment shouldn't be a problem. I've already thought about putting the axle under the kart and extending the pitman arm back in its original position, but I'd like to use round tubing. The pedals should be a relatively easy fix since the holes are still in the frame.

Anyone able to post the front axle dimensions and angles? Would help greatly?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dabckid

Reaction score
Can't help with the stock setup but had a similar problem as you when I bought my daughter's manco front axle was stock but so bent it was 2 inches out side to side and wanted to 3 wheel. My fix was this...

Attachments

• 20170505_173958.jpg
    20170505_173958.jpg
    589.8 KB · Views: 15

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
I think you'll have to wait for Grant to show up..
IIRC he has a 285 (yours is) and I'm reasonably sure he already knows the exact dimensions...
and even if his' started as a 286 it'd still be the exact same chassis, thus front axle ;)

here's a matching parts manual for future reference
https://americanlandmaster.com/pdfs/gokarts-minibikes/model-285/285_operatorsmanual_285192.pdf

other than that I'm afraid you'll have to wait a bit.

But allow me to add some eye candy (in the form of Grants 13horse dingo restoration)
https://kartfab.com/vintage-go-kart-restoration/manco-dingo-13-hp-off-road-go-kart

'sid

Last edited:

Earthy

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm still looking for some measurements on a 285's front axle. I believe the specs that I still need are the length of the axle from the side of the frame to where the bend begins, the angle than the axle sweeps back (best I can tell from photos is around 30 degrees), and the angle that the axle attaches to the spindle bracket (most pics look like the axle is just cut at 90 degrees and then welded to the bracket).

Thanks in advance.

Tpdingo

Reaction score
Friday works great. I won't be able to work on it until the weekend anyway. :thumbsup:

Just realized that I need the total axle length from of kart to the spindle. Sorry. It's been a rough week.
Give me Dingo Pics or Give me Death:lolgoku:

Your getting Dingo pics.

Now I don't have a tape measure on hand, but if you can find a reference distance(like the distance of the spindle), you should be able to calculate out the distances and angles of everything.

One of the other forum members might have the software to get the angles and distances.

And yes, I am using an old SLA battery to stop the steering wheel and a driveway patch bucket to jack up the front.

Here are the pics:

Attachments

• IMG_20181102_224239.jpg
    IMG_20181102_224239.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20181102_224419.jpg
    IMG_20181102_224419.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20181102_224427.jpg
    IMG_20181102_224427.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20181102_224436.jpg