Manco+Honda+mods= FUN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walter Keller

Reaction score
The other day my 10 year old was riding the manco around our shop - The honda 140 4hp came off a parking lot stripe paint machine that was given to me. That honda was the best thing that happened to that manco.

Walter Keller

Reaction score
Lucky Find

Been a while back - we were driving through our neighbor hood - a few blocks over from my house theres a company that sweeps parking lots at night. The owner was cleaning up his shop and threw away a lawn mower - it was next to a dumpster. I stoped to check it out(I cant help myself) He saw me and asked if I wanted more mowers - he had a bunch lined up next to his shop. Game on at that point I spyed the honda. I ended up with the line painter(gx140) a lawn boy (runner) another runner I gave to my dad and another that needed more time than I had to give it(sat it out by the street - gone) The painter (honda) was a low time machine - all it needed was the carb cleaned in order to run - the fuel tank was rusted bad from the old fuel. The gx140 pulls the mini bike real good - it still has the governer too.

porsche930dude

Reaction score
nice! those hondas are great. they dont have the old scool flare of a briggs or tec but they dont have the problems either :) the one on my bike is from an old air compressor

Bluethunder3320

Reaction score
i think all lawn boys are 2 strokes. my friend had one at his beach house in cape cod and it was awesome it had e start so all you had to do was prime and turn the key... i never saw a push mower with a e start before.

redsox985

Reaction score
Some of the newer LBs are not 2 stroke. Russ, where ever he is, happens to be the LawnBoy master.

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
i have a new lawn boy (well its my dads), its 4 stroke, i think they have bean running 4 strokes for a while now, russ would know.

porsche930dude

Reaction score
yea i believe they stoped making 2 strokes a few years ago because the epa crap. thats why theyre so desireable now. i had one for sale for 45$. i thought that was too much but i got like 50 emails on it and the guy that bought it said you cant get 2 stoke ones anymore

Walter Keller

Reaction score
2 strokes for the LB

yea its a 2 stroke - and it ran great before I ditched the mower deck. We have a unfinished gokart project and I had visions of using the LB - then I also have a 6.5 clone (bought for the kart) or a 9hp Tech (I always spell it wrong)

redsox985

Reaction score
Well, by moving the tank and carb, you could mount the LB to the frame. I wouldn't say that 2 strokes are the LEAST practical. They have their advantages. Like being able to run as long as fuel is fed to the. They don't need to worry about proper lubrication like a 4 stroke. Which is why the work on karts and minibikes.

sideways

Unfinished projects king.
Reaction score
yeah, they smoke like b!tches. 2 strokes are the least practical engine there is.

With modern oils 2 strokes are basically smokeless, even with old oils a well tuned 2 stroke shouldn't smoke much. 2 Strokes are more practical than a 4 stroke in many uses. For example, chainsaws, whipper snippers and other gardening implements. Once upon a time 2 strokes were used in just about anything, cars, motorbikes, lawn mowers, aeroplanes, boats, even trucks and tractors. Sadly, 2 strokes have been for the most part, discontinued for emissions reasons, however with high pressure direct injection 2 strokes are making a come back, their getting better emissions than the equivalent 4 strokes too. Have you ever ridden a proper 2 stroke motorbike? Way more fun than a 4 stroke IMO.

/rant

Thanks

Hayden

Camdat67

Reaction score
2 strokes are great.

I,ve been riding dirt bikes for 30 years and currently own an XR600R, XT600 Tenere and an XL250S. All these are 4 strokes and I love them, but I have owned lots of 2 strokes over the years and for power and rush they make 4 strokes feel pretty boring.
Jump on a CR500, RM500, IT490, IT465 or any of the big 2 strokes and they are going to stretch your arms and really make you work to stay on. The most scary thing I have ever ridden was a competition tuned 1998 Honda CR500 motocross bike. On bitumen it is not possible to wind the throttle quickly and on dirt its just pure adrenalin!!! I will always love 2 strokes.

Bluethunder3320

Reaction score
no i like 2 strokes better than 4 strokes, i just said more unpractical because of gas usage/ emissions.

of course global warming is still a big debate............

anyways nothing beats the simplicity of 2 strokes, no cam shaft, valves, oil slinger, governor, all that stuff. they do die alot because people forget to mix gas.

Walter Keller

Reaction score
the manco

That minibike gets used almost every day - we made a new seat for it and I have a new throttle cable to install but other wise its good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.