Manco Dingo - i could use help upgrading rear wheels

papillion99

Reaction score
I'm new the forum. I got a kart for my nephews that i believe is a manco dingo. Someone slapped an 'American Express' shroud around the steering wheel, but the frame doesn't look like any of the american express models. It looks like a dingo. Unfortunately, the floor pan has been replaced, so i can't locate a serial number.

Im posting 3 pictures for anyone to review and confirm what i think.

I need to upgrade the rear wheels to a bigger size. Its going to be for trail riding & i need to elevate that rear sprocket a bit more. For now, i don't think i'll mess with a jack shaft.

The current tires are 145/70/6... The image i titled "this is what i'm looking for".... thats the tire setup i'm looking for. Without a serial number, i could use advice on tire size. I'm assuming i'll need to get rear hubs. The current tires just slide on with a key lock, then hub nut. If i don't utilize a hub setup, i can't see how i'll ever get a larger tire to fit on that axle, or avoid rubbing the frame.

Please help me! ;) Tire size suggestions and what size hub for that axle?

Last thing - the cvt belt has a lot of deflection when it sitting there or at idle. I've worked on many cvt clutches & this looks like way too much deflection. I'm guessing thats why i have to punch it to get acceleration. Its just not engaging a lower speeds. The belt is pretty beat - sags so much its rubbing on the clutch cover. What size belt fits this? assuming it is a dingo.

Thank you - anyone - nephews are coming to visit soon, so i gotta come through for them.

Attachments

• IMG_20240414_194635536.jpg
    IMG_20240414_194635536.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20240414_194645034_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240414_194645034_HDR.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20240414_194654549_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240414_194654549_HDR.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 16
  • This is what i''m looking for.jpg
    This is what i''m looking for.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 16

papillion99

Reaction score
Little more info. here.... so on that axle, it looks like its the early model style where its 1" round that steps down to a 3/4" threaded end.

I think... THINK... this is a Dingo 285. Its definitely a bunch of parts though... the brake is the upgraded mechanical disc. Since the axle is the older model style, they must have upgraded the brakes from the horseshoe shaped system.

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Howdy,

IIRC an American Express was made by Manco
...& was the little brother to the Dingo (Just a bit smaller)

Maybe some rims like these
...will give ya a bit more rear clearance?

https://www.bmikarts.com/8-x-7-Rim-1-Bore-_p_1560.html

Product Specs:
  • Description: 8" rim with a 1" Bore and 1/4" Keyway
  • Material: Steel
  • Rim Diameter: 8" Diameter
  • Bead to Bead Width: 7"
  • 1" Bore with 1/4" Keyway
  • Hub length: 3"
  • Overall Width: 7-3/4"
  • This rim is grey.
  • Valve Stem Included

papillion99

Reaction score
I think i'll need to use that 4x4 hub, otherwise i'm sure a larger tire will be pressed into the frame. FA - thanks for the suggestion, that rim/setup would be simpler, but i think going with a 4x4 hub will allow more clearance between the sprocket and the grade (these nephews will tear it up on semi-smooth trails).

Researching hubs, wheels, and tires with confidence that they'll all match up is probably the most tedius & time consuming portion of this whole project! ;) This is what i've got so far & i think its going to work.... I'll use a 18x9.5x8 tire (its an amazon pkg of 2 wheels & rims for $180). It uses a 110mm bolt spacing. I found a 1" bore keyed hub - its a 2.75" hub width/length... the 1" axle has a total length roughly 6" before it steps down to 3/4" threads, so i think the hub upgrade should fit the backspacing. Let me know if i've missed something.

The 2 attached pictures are exactly what these parts look like - figured that would be clearer than my insane descriptions.

I'll get out there & photograph that CVT and existing belt so you guys can tell me if its the wrong belt to begin with, or if its just that beat up.

Gotta say, this forum was FAST with people responding. Going fast always brings certain types together, hugh? I've always said, "if i'm not going fast i'm not having fun!".

Attachments

• 18x9.5x8 Tire - 110mm bolt spacing -.jpg
    18x9.5x8 Tire - 110mm bolt spacing -.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 4 bolt hubs.jpg
    4 bolt hubs.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 4

BaconBitRacing

Reaction score
Gotta say, this forum was FAST with people responding. Going fast always brings certain types together, hugh? I've always said, "if i'm not going fast i'm not having fun!".
There’s been times for me that people have replied to my problem within the afternoon. Probably has something to do with us not having anything better to do…

papillion99

Reaction score
Sorry this took a few days longer than I'd hoped....I've uploaded some clearer images of the CVT Belt & the drive pulley. The belt width is 3/4 of an inch. I have to go back and review the information again but I thought I'd read most of them are 5/8... Either way the belt that's on there is just garbage.

Not sure if I can upload videos on this forum... I took a few seconds video just to show how bad the deflection is on the belt. I removed IMG_20240420_213451027_HDR.jpgIMG_20240420_213435781.jpgthe plastic housing on the CVT system because the belt kept slapping against the inside. One of the images shows the friction marks.

Attachments

• IMG_20240420_212856759_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240420_212856759_HDR.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20240420_212847960_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240420_212847960_HDR.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 6
  • CVT housing cover- melted from CVT Belt.jpg
    CVT housing cover- melted from CVT Belt.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 5

papillion99

Reaction score
Well, I tried uploading the video - no dice. Too big. Tried compressing it, but it still wouldn't work out. It's not really necessary though, it's pretty clear that the pre-existing belt is just beat up or even an incorrect size.