Manco 706b with 7hp 211cc Robin engine - $1300 way too much???

Medmed20

Reaction score
Hello all! New to go karts, new to this site. Have been reading around various posts the like week or so and it’s obvious you all are really passionate and knowledgeable! This sounds like a fun hobby that me and the kids can get into.
I have been looking around my area for a quality used 2-seater go kart for 10-16 yr olds.
I found a 20-yr old Manco 706b with a really nice Subaru Ex 21 “Robin” engine that runs super smooth.
It’s 1-owner, garage stored, low hours... looks like it’s been taken really good care of.
Problem is: they’re asking $1300 which seems way too much for a used go kart that is 20 years old, even if it is in really good condition and has a great engine. But I guess I really don’t know, and I could be totally wrong.
Wanted to see what you all thought.
Thanks!

Attachments

• 4BEE0D7A-F13E-4683-8EAA-ED8D546EFABB.jpg
    4BEE0D7A-F13E-4683-8EAA-ED8D546EFABB.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 7951B3D1-A901-429C-B0DF-E3A91588C391.jpg
    7951B3D1-A901-429C-B0DF-E3A91588C391.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 25
  • D1AF1DED-F082-4A71-B12C-AC09294E4E0E.jpg
    D1AF1DED-F082-4A71-B12C-AC09294E4E0E.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 20
  • D6958C2A-547F-4CDD-9AC5-C70FB1604CA4.jpg
    D6958C2A-547F-4CDD-9AC5-C70FB1604CA4.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 6869A5B6-AC8D-4363-952D-488C922BE3CC.jpeg
    6869A5B6-AC8D-4363-952D-488C922BE3CC.jpeg
    127.4 KB · Views: 21

Karttekk

Reaction score
The Robin Subaru engine is top of the line and Manco karts are too. An added bonus is there are still parts available and documentation. The owner knows what he has, that's why he's starting high. Take 8 or 9 hundred with you and tell him you'll take it right now for $800.00. I would stay under a grand unless you really want the kart. Clean, older karts are hard to find. That 20 year old kart will outlast the newer Chinese machines easily. Hope this helps.

70Cobra

Reaction score
I have the same cart. In my opinion that is way too expensive. But lot's of karts and mini bikes have gone up lately due to covid-19 and everyone staying at home.

Whilst the subaru may be top of the line, replacement or performance parts for the engine are insane prices.

The A arms are really wide and easily bent once your kids, or you mis judge a gap etc.

The axle and wheels are Manco specific due to not being round. The steering with such a heavy cart is average at best.

The seat isn't comfortable after more than 30mins riding.

Now if you intend to build it up and got it for $6-700 hundred you would be doing ok. Just know due to the weight of the heavy frame a 200cc engine will push it but just not perform really well.

You can get some take out Polaris Razr seats on ebay for not that much money and they fit the buggy perfectly. They will make a huge difference in comfort and enjoyment.

If you are handy, grafting the front end of a quad bike onto it will really make it an awesome buggy, that's what I did.

I have a polaris 2 stoke quad engine and transmission that I'm going to re-power it with.

A yerf dog 3203 is a really great little cart and due to the lighter weight it has great performance with a 200cc engine.

Karttekk

Reaction score
"Whilst the Subaru may be top of the line, replacement or performance parts for the engine are insane prices."

Being a top of the line engine there's less need for replacement or performance parts.

A Yerf dog 3203 is a really great little cart and due to the lighter weight it has great performance with a 200cc engine.

https://www.yourlawyer.com/product-liability/vehicles/cpsc-ff-recall-go-karts/

RIGuy

Reaction score
Hello! Been lurking a while and high time I joined!

I have this same kart. I bought it on the side of the road for $400. Put a brand new Robin motor on it I got online out of MI for like $250 a couple years back. Some things broke, life got busy and it sat. Shame on me. During covid times, kids needed it. So i decided to get her going. Let me tell ya!

The biggest issue is the **** wheels! They have a built in 19 splined hub that is part of the rim. Well once I rebuilt the torque converter, redid the brakes and spent about $300 revamping it.....that splined hub sheared off. The rear wheels are currently unavailable and have been for about 6-8 weeks. Waiting on the slow boat from china ��

Many of the parts on this kart are very specific and due to its age, they are becoming harder and harder to get. The manufacturer of the kart is out if business and is now owned by American Land Master.

When it is running, its awesome and the kids love it! Probably goes about 20mph with a 15 and 8 year old in it.

Karttekk

Reaction score
"The biggest issue is the **** wheels! They have a built in 19 splined hub that is part of the rim. Well once I rebuilt the torque converter, redid the brakes and spent about $300 revamping it.....that splined hub sheared off. The rear wheels are currently unavailable and have been for about 6-8 weeks. Waiting on the slow boat from china ��"

Wondering if the axle on that kart wasn't stock. The only 8" wheels I can find are either a hex design or have a 1/4" keyway. I just restored an older Manco basic kart, not a buggy and those had split rims with a keyed hub. Maybe a production change or something. Interesting.

https://assets.americanlandmaster.com/uploads/manuals/Fun-Kart/706_operatorsmanual_706bxx.pdf

https://assets.americanlandmaster.com/uploads/manuals/Fun-Kart/706_operatorsmanual_706b1.pdf

https://www.gopowersports.com/8-live-axle-wheel/

https://www.gopowersports.com/manco-4x4-live-axle-hub-7-8-hex/

RIGuy

Reaction score
I wish that was the case with mine lol. I’ll show an internet pic of what the ones I need/waiting for look like.

https://s.sears.com/is/image/Sears/PD_0071_108_14797

---------- Post added at 12:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 PM ----------

I guess my phone doesn’t want to upload the pic atm so there is a link. If you zoom in you can see the splines inside the hub. This was the stock setup for the kart from the factory. ASW/American Landmaster Part Number is 14797

---------- Post added at 12:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 PM ----------

I like the idea of just swapping out the axel for either a keyed or hex hub. I’m just nervous I’ll order the axel and because this kart is so specific to manufacturers specs, that anything but OEM won’t fit perfect and I’ll end up wasting money and adding frustration to this already frustrating situation lol

If anyone has messed with an axel and wheel swap on an ASW3170 before I am all ears on swapping it all out and cancelling the expensive parts that are on back order until mid-July :)

Budget GoKart

Aka a kenbar
Reaction score
"Whilst the Subaru may be top of the line, replacement or performance parts for the engine are insane prices."

Being a top of the line engine there's less need for replacement or performance parts.

A Yerf dog 3203 is a really great little cart and due to the lighter weight it has great performance with a 200cc engine.

I was driving my manco scorpion and its shock mount broke at 40mph ish

Karttekk

Reaction score
"I was driving my Manco scorpion and its shock mount broke at 40mph ish"

Things break on karts all the time, my point is were the Scorpions recalled because of this? The Yerfdog recall involved 10,000 karts.

---------- Post added at 02:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 PM ----------

Your kart is definitely a Manco 706b? The 706b is a more of a basic kart. That axle appears to be for the buggy style machines. Dunno. Thinking the axle must have been swapped out or something. The links I sent were for the 706b & they don't show that axle. Can you supply pictures of your kart by any chance?

https://www.bmikarts.com/Axle-for-ASW-3170-3171-Go-Kart-14798_p_3233.html

This replacement axle is used on all American Sportworks go karts ASW3170, Dragonfly, ASW3171, and Black Widow.

---------- Post added at 02:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 PM ----------

https://assets.americanlandmaster.com/uploads/manuals/Fun-Kart/3171_IPL.pdf

Scroll to Section 8, rear axle.

70Cobra

Reaction score

https://www.yourlawyer.com/product-liability/vehicles/cpsc-ff-recall-go-karts/

The horsepower of the engine is the same with either the subaru or the Predator. Both engines in stock condition are greatly underpowered in such a heavy cart.

Then when he or his kids get bored and want to go faster his options will be limited and cost far more with the subaru.

The link you provided about the yerf dog recall listed the spiderbox not the 3203. Even if the 3203 was included it has similar steering and front suspension to the Manco. Both pretty much useless and near impossible or expensive to replace damaged parts.

Thats why I cut the front end off that cart also and grafted on a quad bike.

You sound very "pro" subaru and I hope the OP can see that. It is a superior built engine but financially it is not the better option. It has little to no after market support in this country, for a reasonable price.

I had both engines with a stage 1 kit on the yerfdog. The Predator performance was far more noticeable and has really made the cart fun to drive.

The subaru is gathering dust in storage. I probably couldn't get the price of the air filter adapter I purchased, for the whole engine, if I sold it.

sd3838

Reaction score
I bought one of these for $300 about a month ago. have had to do some welding to fix the engine supports and replaced the chain, belt and sprockets, but don't think they were that bad. Still have jerking when accelerating and think it is in the driver pulley. To make it steer better, I drilled another hole about an inch or more above the one at the end of the steering plate at the end of the column. This shortened the leverage and made it easier to steer. I did have to drill another hole right beside the floorboard right next to the steering column and put about a 3-4 inch x 3/8 bolt to to stop the travel to keep it from going too far one way.

NightHawkJ30

Reaction score
Iv
The Robin Subaru engine is top of the line and Manco karts are too. An added bonus is there are still parts available and documentation. The owner knows what he has, that's why he's starting high. Take 8 or 9 hundred with you and tell him you'll take it right now for $800.00. I would stay under a grand unless you really want the kart. Clean, older karts are hard to find. That 20 year old kart will outlast the newer Chinese machines easily. Hope this helps.
Ive had mine since the late 90’s still looks like the day i got it for Christmas. Check out over in the introduce yourself section. And heck yeah it out last chinese karts all day.