Making a mini truck? Torque converter question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Potato_man

New member
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi there,

First time post. I am trying to make myself a little "mini truck" with around 10 hp and a top speed of around 35-40 mph for my business, but have been having the worst time finding anything about transmissions.

The only thing that seems viable and cheap enough is the torque converter (like the Comet series), but in terms of hours, how durable are they? Also, how long do the belts and other components last?

I really don't like servicing things often, and if every two weeks or so they need adjustment, it wouldn't work well for the business.

Anyway, sorry, not much of a post, but any insight on this would be much appreciated. Thanks!
 

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
152
Location
Ontario, Canada
I can tell you from firsthand experience that the Comet model 40 requires no maintenance. I ran the snot out of mine in an offroad environment for four years in all kinds of weather- dust, rain, snow, mud- you name it It performed like a champ, and I only had one belt failure. The failure was caused by my niece burning a spot on the belt- She crashed my kart onto a tree, and in a panic, held the throttle wide open. It smoked like he// for a minute until I ran up and hit the kill switch. A few moths after that, the belt broke at the burnt (and weakened) spot.

Get yourself a genuine Comet 40, set it up properly, gear the machine right, and you'll never have to give it another thought.

...And welcome to the forum- can't wait to see your build!
 

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Messages
4,827
Reaction score
12
Location
Cornwall, UK
I agree with toystory. I break most things. My 40 series is not one of them.
As it is used for business I would keep a spare belt, although they are very strong.
Get genuine and do not get a tav2 or comet 30. They will require far more maintenance with 10HP because they are only 8hp rated.
Another option is a cv tech torque converter. They are meant to be pretty good, but I have not heard anyone here using them due to their extra cost.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top