Making a bike frame

chadman

Reaction score
Although the bike wont include an engine (yet?) I was thinking about making a bike frame, I've seen custom ones before and they look much better than ones you can buy, it'd also be a good way to make it better to mount an engine. would this be a good idea? I've got a welder and know how to use one so would it be that hard?

Joe-405

Enjoying New Projects
Reaction score
I hope I’m reading your last sentence correctly. If your asking us how hard it would be then yes it could be. But it also depends on your fabrication abilities also. If you can weld then I would say 50% of your ability is already there ! Welding is usually the part that people don’t know. Only issue I see is maybe a tubing bender for better lines and a better end result.

so I would say go for it.

or buy a frame and modify it. Which is what I did. And I have the ability to build all of my stuff from scratch. But it’s nice having a platform to start with.

mckutzy

Reaction score
After recently building a bike for a neighbor... I'd say it's not easy per-se....
If you don't have a bender it's not the end...
But it makes life easier...
Having the tools and a place to build makes the most part of it...

Smerft85

Reaction score
I'm eventually going to build a mini chopper of sorts out of a roll cage from a go kart, the lines are almost perfect for it, but I'm going to invest in a pipe bender first. I know first hand a kart from scratch has its challenges, I feel getting everything straight and lined up is among the top for a minibike or kart frames from scratch.

Crazznewt

Reaction score
Sorry if this is off topic....I've have two close friends who each bought new bicycles to put a 48 or 49 cc engine on. One friend put a two stroke on one and a 4 stroke with gear reduction on another. These things pulled me at 240lbs or so around town at 28 mph. That gear reduction obviously reduces the rear sprocket size. The other friend installed a 4 stroke with a large pulley on the wheel and upgraded to a better sprocket hub. He weighed 340 or so and rode that thing constantly. Each engine kit was below $140.
A guy can pick up decent bikes for next to nothing and add new cables, grips and maybe tires and have a reliable new bike with an engine for a great price.
Anything under 50cc is street legal around here but I want an 80cc, not for speed necessarily but for power. A guy can get a decent one for $120 according to verified reviews.
A bike with an engine might come in handy one of these days. I will hopefully build one a week starting soon.

Dcarson81

Reaction score
I'm eventually going to build a mini chopper of sorts out of a roll cage from a go kart, the lines are almost perfect for it, but I'm going to invest in a pipe bender first. I know first hand a kart from scratch has its challenges, I feel getting everything straight and lined up is among the top for a minibike or kart frames from scratch.
We’re could one buy a tubing bender I have a pipe bender but it does not work for my needs