• OFF TOPIC fun forum - NO politics - NO religion - NO jerks. It's not complicated. Thanks!

Mad Max 4: Fury Road clip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Part of me thinks that this is going to be another re-heat gone bad. There's only so many times you can warm up the leftovers in the fridge, before they really begin to taste like dung. I found Beyond Thunderdome (#3 in the series) to be a let-down. Yeah, I still own it and watch it periodically, to satisfy my lust for automotive carnage.

I don't know whether they will attempt to skip the plot 30 years into the future, which seems a bit silly. When we left off, gasoline was simply non-existant, and the methane thing was a stretch. The cars of the '70's would be getting REALLY old, and of course, nothing newer has been built.

Maybe they will attempt to pick it up where we left off. Aside from the above fuel issues, the car and part availability might still be feasible. Maybe they'll steal a page from The Road Warrior (film #2) and stumble upon a civilization that is pumping and brewing thier own (again).

If it's a prequel, I may cry. AFAIAC, the prequel is Hollywood's desperate act in an effort to cash in on a franchise that didn't have the foresight to leave the door open to the future. I hate prequels. This whole "let's try to catch you up on the past and explain how things come to be" hits me for what it is- a MASSIVE afterthought.

All that aside, I am STILL looking forward to the sun-baked, sandblasted automotive mayhem (hopefully) way out in the middle of an Australian nowhere!

As an aside, somebody has GOT to explain why in the first two movies, most of the bad guys are so... FLAMBOYANT! For that matter, so is Captain Fifi. Who was thinking what?

OzFab

Reaction score
Part of me thinks that this is going to be another re-heat gone bad. There's only so many times you can warm up the leftovers in the fridge, before they really begin to taste like dung. I found Beyond Thunderdome (#3 in the series) to be a let-down. Yeah, I still own it and watch it periodically, to satisfy my lust for automotive carnage.

Was there any in thunderdome?

:iagree: After the first two, it was a bit of a let-down: Road warrior is still my favourite

I don't know whether they will attempt to skip the plot 30 years into the future, which seems a bit silly. When we left off, gasoline was simply non-existant, and the methane thing was a stretch. The cars of the '70's would be getting REALLY old, and of course, nothing newer has been built.

Maybe they will attempt to pick it up where we left off. Aside from the above fuel issues, the car and part availability might still be feasible. Maybe they'll steal a page from The Road Warrior (film #2) and stumble upon a civilization that is pumping and brewing thier own (again).

If it's a prequel, I may cry. AFAIAC, the prequel is Hollywood's desperate act in an effort to cash in on a franchise that didn't have the foresight to leave the door open to the future. I hate prequels. This whole "let's try to catch you up on the past and explain how things come to be" hits me for what it is- a MASSIVE afterthought.

Based on the vehicles, I have a funny feeling (but I could be wrong) it may be set somewhere between 2 & 3. What vehicles that were in Beyond Thunderdome (that I remember) weren't as sophisticated (for lack of a better word) as these new(?) vehicles.

Speaking of which, the COG on that second truck would be unbelievable & WTF is that last thing :smiley_omg:

All that aside, I am STILL looking forward to the sun-baked, sandblasted automotive mayhem (hopefully) way out in the middle of an Australian nowhere!

Did you miss the bit about Namibia?

As an aside, somebody has GOT to explain why in the first two movies, most of the bad guys are so... FLAMBOYANT! For that matter, so is Captain Fifi. Who was thinking what?

Hey, it was the 80's :lolgoku: The good guys had to look good but, who cares if the bad guys look like total douches...

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Was there any in thunderdome?

Chase scene at the end.

:iagree: After the first two, it was a bit of a let-down: Road warrior is still my favourite
Mine, too.

Based on the vehicles, I have a funny feeling (but I could be wrong) it may be set somewhere between 2 & 3. What vehicles that were in Beyond Thunderdome (that I remember) weren't as sophisticated (for lack of a better word) as these new(?) vehicles.

Speaking of which, the COG on that second truck would be unbelievable & WTF is that last thing :smiley_omg:
2.5? Yeah- I think I could live with that. The plot lines between 2 & 3 seem to indicate that passage of quite a bit of time. It could happen.[/QUOTE]

Did you miss the bit about Namibia? Maybe- Is it SET there, or FILMED there? Mucho difference.

Hey, it was the 80's :lolgoku: The good guys had to look good but, who cares if the bad guys look like total douches...
No accounting for Max's boss.

While we're on it- You know what I HATE about 3? The Pilot. They used the same actor as in Road Warrior to play a pilot. He's even got a young fella with him, suggestive of the Feral Kid. Yet he and Max do not know each other, nor is there any hint they do. That really honks. If they were going to get that close to it, they should have written in one of those long-lost recognition things partway in. Plus- Dood looks like that and flies. Do you really think Max would completely forget about all that history they had together? Weak.

Orange Krate

Reaction score
Sorry I'm late. How could it take me so long to comment on a car chase romp??

3 did suck much! 2 still favorite and awesome as ever...even 3 did not spoil that so, bring on 4 it can't be any worse. I'll watch it!!! Judging by the cars it will be awesome mayhem and hopefully with little CGI.

They may do like the new A-Team and just reset it with modern politics. (although I like the 2.5 idea!) It was different but good in its own way because the original creator, Stephen J. Cannell, had a hand in it, and I heard from the horses mouth that he was happy with it. Hopefully we'll have some of the same here.

The berserkers from Road Warrior were so flamboyant because they were a representation of total chaos and savagery and the writer based it on Sodom and Gomorra-esque legends, totally lacking of self control.

Also, if you pay attention to the Road Warrior, it's a Western. Good guys circle the wagons to protect from savages while the loan gunfighter with the painful past rides into town, begrudgingly, to save the day....a friend of mine did his college thesis on this and got an A.

For that I based my recently written Road Warrior parody roughly about a true, diygokarts.com worthy story from his youth.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
The berserkers from Road Warrior were so flamboyant because they were a representation of total chaos and savagery and the writer based it on Sodom and Gomorra-esque legends, totally lacking of self control.
Good analysis. Let's not forget some of the "scoot-jockeys" from Mad Max, and the captain, too.

Also, if you pay attention to the Road Warrior, it's a Western. Good guys circle the wagons to protect from savages while the loan gunfighter with the painful past rides into town, begrudgingly, to save the day....a friend of mi
ne did his college thesis on this and got an A.
A new take on an old theme. I can see why your buddy got an A.

For that I based my recently written Road Warrior parody roughly about a true, diygokarts.com worthy story from his youth.
This, I gotta read.

Status
Not open for further replies.