Macquarie College Electric Endurance Bike

Status
Not open for further replies.

jman231994

New member
Messages
724
Reaction score
3
Location
Australia
Hey guys, some of you might know that I'm in an endurance competition as part of a team from my school....well the race is this sunday and we only got the batteries today....cutting it a tad fine but the bike is nearly done.

At around 40v it was able to spin up to 86km/h in a vice with no load, easily does 40km/h with me on it and heaps more gears to go faster. Its running a 960w motor that is probably peaking at around 1500w lol :roflol: 10ah of lifepo4 cells with a nominal voltage of 36v and a nice custom frame designed by me, then tweaked after testing. We are limited to 5kg of batteries with a max cost of $220AUD and no dangerous lithium chemistries...they seem a bit frightened of what we could set on fire lol

I dont really have any good photos of it as it is now but I have one of the frame after it was made by a local engineering company. It was nice to have something made instead of making it ourselves, it really showed me that it IS my rubbish skills that limit what I make, rather than my ability to design something. Hahaha....still doesnt help my go kart lol.

The bike in the foreground is the one we made for the same comp last year....this years is a radical change haha.

So yea, thought you guys would be interested in it. I'lll get some decent pics over the next few days

EDIT: forgot the pic lol
 

Attachments

  • SNC00812.jpg
    SNC00812.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 32

jman231994

New member
Messages
724
Reaction score
3
Location
Australia
Nice! you made a recumberant bike?

Nope, I found some more pics of it on my phone, they aren't very good but they will keep you all interested for now hahaha

I hope the race goes well. Nice looking bike!

Thats just last years one, this years model is the frame sitting behind it on the bench

We took it out for some more runs today but again I didnt get pics, trying to get my final project finished takes priority sadly....I'd rather be building the bike though haha



Some pics
 

Attachments

  • SNC00813.jpg
    SNC00813.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 12
  • SNC00952.jpg
    SNC00952.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 12
  • SNC00925.jpg
    SNC00925.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 10
  • SNC00924.jpg
    SNC00924.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 14
  • SNC00923.jpg
    SNC00923.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 10

jman231994

New member
Messages
724
Reaction score
3
Location
Australia
More pics tonight guys, took some the other day when we were testing it....the race is tomorrow as well........wish us luck haha
 

jman231994

New member
Messages
724
Reaction score
3
Location
Australia
Haha sorry guys, I've been incredibly busy with school work.

We didnt win sadly, we came 6th in the race, 4 laps down on the leaders. Our batteries werent fully charged at the start of the race so we lost power just before the leaders, when we retired I actually ran into the pits, whipped out the multimeter, found a really low cell, and bypassed it with some wire.....Swapped the rider and sprinted the thing back out hahaha

We gained a position by doing that and did another three laps basically pushing it up the hills lol.

We came second in qualifying, just under 10 seconds ahead of 3rd but just over 10 seconds behind first, our first rider thought he was just meant to be doing slow laps to get a feel for it rather than setting times so we lost some voltage there. We probably would have been within 1 or 2 seconds of the leading time had we gotten a better run.

One annoying thing was that the local rotary club gave out a design and innovation award for the team with the best bike in all aspects including design, speed and race result. Not to sound cocky, but that was us. When they interviewed us for the award selection they even said our bike was the best. Yet a school that we beat in both qualifying and the race ended up getting the award.....go figure?

It really bugs me after putting so much effort into building a bike from the ground up that we got no recognition, when the other teams basically just duct taped a battery to a mountain bike and went out on track. The school that won the award wasnt even in the top 3 in my eyes for best design.....

Anyway, enough ranting, heres some pics. Also, the person riding with the red and black helmet is FallenLeopard


EDIT: the guy holding the bike isnt me either, hes the one who did all the building and stuff, I told him how it all worked and how to put it together haha It was his families company that made the frame up for us
 

Attachments

  • SNC00964.jpg
    SNC00964.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 14
  • SNC01007.jpg
    SNC01007.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 12
  • SNC01018.jpg
    SNC01018.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 8
  • SNC01010.jpg
    SNC01010.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 8
  • SNC01005.jpg
    SNC01005.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 11

Fallenleopard

New member
Messages
194
Reaction score
2
Location
N.S.W Australia
we didn't win, but I'm pretty sure we had the coolest looking bike :D (although it wasn't so comfortable) :p

this just means we are going to try even harder next year :thumbsup:
 

jman231994

New member
Messages
724
Reaction score
3
Location
Australia
we didn't win, but I'm pretty sure we had the coolest looking bike :D (although it wasn't so comfortable) :p

this just means we are going to try even harder next year :thumbsup:

It was more than the coolest looking....it was the coolest, sleekest overall



Thanks guys for all the interest, I figured you would all think it was cool
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top