Low temp Aluminium brazing rods

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used the low temp aluminium welding/brazing rods? I was thinking about giving them a shot for a few upcoming projects. It wouldn't be for anything very structural. Also, I wonder if you baked a head to about for a while if you could use them to weld up a combination chamber and how well they would do?

In the future I will probably go back to a full thickness head gasket and weld up the combustion chamber for better quench, flame front control, flow control, etc and mess around with chamber shapes. I wonder if these would fit the bill?

mckutzy

Reaction score
I have not personally used this product, but I have seen a lot of YT vids on this and typical use.
Most use it for a like you said non structural construction, fill small holes in tanks or the like ect...
In your case I could see it being use, till it delaminates from the substrate.

With a mechanical grooving(rough machining) of the surface of the head... I reckon it could work....

Then again.... there is JB weld... its been done a few times for cylinder and head repair... And it actually works surprisingly well in some cases....

Reaction score
Yeah, I use the JB Weld for port work but I think the aluminum would be better for combustion chamber work. I have used JB Weld for tons of different things. Love the stuff. I think your right, rough the surface up and keep the head hot and it MIGHT work.

I have watched some YT videos of it being tried out too. It cracks me up when they clamp it in a big betal vise or use something to secure it that the aluminum would dissipate all of the heat to and then watch them complain about how it doesn't work well. ��

I think I would put the head in the oven for quite some time to build enough heat up and then take it out with MAP gas in hand ready to go in order to get a good bond. I was tempted to try it for the port work but decided that good ol' JB Weld might not be as pretty but I knew it would work so I went with that.

I could go through the headache of setting up my mig in trick aluminum mode, crank up the power, get the wire feed just right, switch the tip to the next larger size and go to town with my best effort. Oh, would need the right gas too. Hmm... Choices choices

mckutzy

Reaction score
There was one tube I saw, he was fixing a stripped out thread in a flathead briggs(?).... He was soldering on top of a bbq, preheat and to keep the heat on while it was being worked on...
Now to be fare it wasnt a propane torch it eas an A/O torch.. but none the less...

Reaction score
Ahh.. nice. That's a good'ish idea. Thanks for sharing that. I thought of baking it and then sitting it on the electric griddle. Not sure how that would work. One of these days I might give it a go.