Loose belt! big problem because....

Status
Not open for further replies.

karts4life

Reaction score
Hey all, me again.... So i don't know why but the drive belt for my kart has gotten loose, BUT there is a bigger problem: My engine didn't exactly fit on my chassis so I had to drill holes in the right places so that the engine would align to the wheels. At first I got lucky and the holes I drilled were in just the right places for the belt to be tight enough, but now the belt has gotten a little loose and keeps slipping off the rear wheel. What do I do now!!

karts4life

Reaction score
not possible, but I think a new belt that is the same size would do the trick b/c the current belt is very worn and torn at multiple places, making it a good bit stretched out then when it was new.

karts4life

Reaction score
well I cut off the belt and measured it. It's 33.5 inches in circumference, 1" wide and has 170 notches... where can I purchase a new one of the same specs? thanks

ElectricalBen

Reaction score
if your going to use a belt get another set of pulleys one for the rear axle and one for then engine and make it two belts less stress they will last longer less power loss and if one slips theres a back up

karts4life

Reaction score
wow thanks for the really quick reply! My engine is only 3.5hp and what you're describing seems like much work... I'm sure a new belt would do the trick but the hard part would be finding the same one...

ineed2fly

Reaction score
Go to an auto store and ask, bring it in, I think I know what kind of belt your'e talking about, its flat like a serpentine, but notched instead of grooves. They'll probably have something. And I don't think the number of notches matters, just the spacing, and if the spacing is the same, then the # of notches should match.

oscaryu1

Reaction score
3.5HP? You're better off with a chain setup, as said. Pictures would help tremendously. "Slipping off the wheel"?? :confused:

my_mini_bike

Reaction score
Where you have drilled your holes, drill another two holes;
-One infront of the original
-One behind the original

So you should have sometihng that looks like this...
O
O
O
Cut out or file the material inbetween each hole, or cut with a metal bit on a jigsaw if your lazy...
This should give you something that looks like this...
||
||
||
This should give you a 'track' to allow ajustment of your engine and be able to slide it backwards and fowards, therefore tightening of loosening your belt.

Ps. sorry for the crude diagrams :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.