Looking to Buy a Mini-Bike

USAMAC

Reaction score
I know the focus of what we do here is to discuss our love for building, crafting and modifying. That being said, I was hoping for some advice from those with the knowledge and experience I trust most.

The focus is for my kids, 8 & 14. The 14 primarily and the 8 year old as he gains some experience and confidence. Mostly going to be ridding around our yard and the dirt road we live on, for now. I'm going to set a budget for $500-$800 USD. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I pretty much only have Karting experience, not ever owned a dirt bike of any sort, but have ridden friend's 2-stroke and 4-stroke dirt bikes in the past.

Thanks in advance!

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
I have a mb-200-2 I bought for the girls 4 or 5 years ago for Christmas. The best price then I found was in the $850 range. With some modifications it has held up very well. I put a genuine Comet belt on it, and a 60 tooth rear sprocket. It then and now has been ridden a ton! Those are the only ones I have any experience with besides my old 1970s Montgomery Wards minibike.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
I suggest training wheels for the 8-year old, and since not available, a serious throttle limiting that can't be undone without your help.

pRoFiT

Can't buy it?, build it!
Reaction score
Too bad your in NE and not CA. i have 2 mini bikes and i only want to keep one of them. could sell for 250?

pRoFiT

Can't buy it?, build it!
Reaction score
ah i saw NE Georgia on location. :)

Not sure what it is. had for a couple years. Got two for one deal. fixed them both up. the second one had modified engine so i repainted that one. (~37mph max)

maybe they are both doodlebugs?

i dont know if ima sell it. i dont ever ride slower one. maybe in the backyard since it's slow. (top speed ~27mph)

shipping would be super expensive to georgia.

panchothedog

Reaction score
I think I have the same bike as Denny. It's a MB trailmaster 200. I bought mine from Go Power Sports a year and a half ago for $899 with free shipping. I think they have gone up in price since then. I read several reviews stating it was the best new mini bike you can buy and after many many trouble free off road miles I have no regrets. I am 73 years old and with suspension front and rear, torque converter transmission, big thick seat and hydrolic disk brake I love mine.

txluke

Reaction score
For a younger kid I think start out with a doodle/dirt bug (now coleman makes it as cc100x). It has a 3hp engine that you can swap out to something bigger after they have more experience. Since your riding is off-road get the bigger kid something with suspension. Coleman makes 2 larger bikes with front suspension. You can look around and find vintage bikes with full suspension (Arctic cat is my fav).

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
A minibike with even a small amount of suspension is preferable to a completely rigid frame. Cars have shocks as much for keeping the tires in contact with the road as they do for ride comfort. Little kids would have an easier job of steering on a rough dirt road or yard if there's a bit of suspension to ease the rapid jerking around of the handlebars.