Looking for some help/advice...

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewGuyinTX

New member
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Location
Burleson area
New guy here. Name's Michael.

I've been tossing the idea around of building a gokart for my almost 9 year old son. I have a background in mechanics and vehicle fabrication and assembly from building armored cars for a while. So I think this would be a cool father/son project to take on.

Where I am confused is what parts I need. I know that I'll obviously need a motor and clutch plus steering and braking assemblies but Im still unsure on what kind of brakes and how many. I plan on building my own frame so I can tailor the role cage, overall height, center of gravity, etc how I would like. Im sure I could do some exhaustive searching on Google to get all of these answers, but Im trying to put together a preliminary budget so I can get an idea of how much I should be looking at spending.

Also, and tips, pointers, etc that yall could pass on to a new guy would be terrific.
 

mckutzy

Well-known member
Messages
8,353
Reaction score
110
Location
bc, canada
Hello and welcome.
A good start is a 6.5 honda clone,is good enough for the boy,
A cent clutch,
1 disc and mechanical brake caliper(sometimes you can get a kit)Make sure it matches the axle you intend to get),
Sprockets (6:1 ratio, 12t/72t is popular)(make sure it matches whatever the chain and clutch size you get),
Length of chain #35.
1 length(usually about 48-72") of keyed shaft for the axle(1" is a good choice, make sure to get a matching sprocket hub size)
A bunch of shaft collars
key stock(1 length,12", is usually more than enough)

Tires Im not too sure but someone will chime in shortly.

Here is some of the driveline materials for you to get.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/
 

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Messages
12,461
Reaction score
70
Location
White Settlement Texas
First off- love the user name and please fill out your profile so we know where you're at. There's a few other Texans on the site and we slip in some posts when the Yankees, Canooks, Aussies and insane German aren't looking. Welcome to the forum.

You may come out cheaper buying a used kart than buying everything new as parts. For a basic kart- I'd say $3 -400 for parts not including materials for the frame.

Do a little perusing through the site and you'll be much more ready to make informed decisions before you throw money around. ....
 

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
72
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
If you do decide to fabricate a frame from scratch, just remember, IT'S NOT AN ARMOURED TRUCK, it can be lighter than you think... 1" tube (square or round, your choice) with a wall thickness between 0.065" & 0.085" is plenty strong enough...

One more thing, I suggest you aim for 8:1 gearing until the little fella gets used to it...
 

mckutzy

Well-known member
Messages
8,353
Reaction score
110
Location
bc, canada
OP- not to confuse you, I just spouted 6:1 ratio as it the rule of thumb, not by no means the end-all-be-all. It does relate a bit to your tire size.
 

qtband

Well-known member
Messages
1,772
Reaction score
70
Location
St. Louis, MO
I agree with PoBoy. Get a frame off Craigslist and strip it down. Start from there and you can end up with a "like new" kart in a short amount of time.
 

NewGuyinTX

New member
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Location
Burleson area
Wow! Thank you guys for all of the help so far! These are really informative and help me visualize what all this will take, so thanks again!

I've checked out craigslist a bit for frames and such but haven't really found too much. A premade frame would be fairly easy but at the same time, I have a visualized concept in my mind and I end up comparing the frames I do see to what I have pictured in my mind. But I do have a local steel yard that I've used several times before with good prices. From what I've priced so far, the steel tubing shouldn't cost me more than $100 or so for the frame, plus however much steel I decide I will need for the roll cage. I'm sure I will probably go over my steel budget because I tend to over engineer stuff like this when I build things, and being that its my sons safety in question, I know I'll go overboard. In fact, I've already decided that I'm going to be using some racing seats from Summit Racing with 5-point harnesses just to be sure that he's safe.

As far as the motor, would the 6.5HP Predator engine from Harbor Freight be a decent starting motor? I know HF is hit and miss on what's good and what isn't, but has anyone ever used one before?

And for my location, Im just a little South of Ft Worth, down around the Burleson area.
 

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
72
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
Many members have had great success with the 212 Predator; sometimes a dud slips through the cracks but, not very often
 
Last edited:

Half-breeder

"Edit" button removed
Messages
1,686
Reaction score
9
Many menber have had great success with the 212 Predator; sometimes a dud slips through the cracks but, not very often

:iagree:... my first motor was/is a HF212 that Ive kept stock and still runs first pull 99% of the time. It's not a 'rule of thumb', but the majority of those that own a HF212 will also own a Honda motor, and will praise the Honda over the HF... but those same ppl will also, NOT, talk garbage on the HF(other than its made in China)... so its a solid motor over all(if taken care of properly w/ maintenance and installation).
 

Half-breeder

"Edit" button removed
Messages
1,686
Reaction score
9
Why I oughtta.....Oh- never mind- thought you were talking about me for a minute. ....:lolgoku:

All in all- most of the stuff at HF is a good value. IMHO.


Hmm... me thinks, someone has blownup something previously... (musta missed that thread).
 

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Messages
5,247
Reaction score
87
Location
Houston Texas
NewGuy, the HF 212 cc cant be beat for the price. I just started mine (daughters kart) after sitting a month+ out in the elements..... It started on second pull,wouldve on the first but i put too short a rope in it...... Its like 3 years old and I ABUSE the $#¡+ out of it.... runs like a CHAMP......
Look around on C list ,in all areas near you. You might find a great kart for a $100 if you feel like a little drive..... Gotta weigh the pros n cons.......
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top