Looking for advice on refitting Sears 2 Seater w/ 6.5 HP 4 cycle

Status
Not open for further replies.

billchang2

Bill-Sears-2Seat
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Location
DC Metro
Have an old Sears 2 seater which had 2.5 HP B&S. Bought 6.5 HP 4 cycle from Harbor Freight. Looking for chain and clutch to go faster.

Engine 3/4 shaft. Wheel sprocket is 72T, welded to wheel

Could I use a hi tooth count clutch (17T?) with this sprocket?

Will There be enough torque from a 6.5 HP 4 cycle to drive this 4.25: 1 ratio? I know that the old 2.5 HP motor would take a few seconds to get up to speed.

Where can I get a high tooth count 3/4 clutch?

What size chain should I use with this clutch and sprocket combo?

Thanks in advance
 

Big Slappy

New member
Messages
37
Reaction score
0
I'd go with a torque converter setup instead of a centrifugal clutch. That way, you can get maximum torque as well as look for the correct size (14-17T) sprocket to attach to the jackshaft, and if it isnt enough torque just change the jackshaft sprocket instead of the whole clutch setup. The torque converter setup is much more expensive, though.


39-40 chain should be sufficient

I got everything I needed from gokartsupply.com
 

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
151
Location
Ontario, Canada
If you could put up a pic or two to help us asses your needs. Also, give us an idea on what terrain you intend to drive, how much the approximate weight of the human occupancy, etc.
 

redsox985

Active member
Messages
4,092
Reaction score
12
Location
PA
TS, there are 2 s's in assess. Anyways, I doubt that a 4.5:1 gear ratio would work too well but, like said before, what kind of weight, terrain, and tires are we dealing with here?
 

karl

Well-known member
Messages
2,449
Reaction score
718
Location
North east Ohio
Have an old Sears 2 seater which had 2.5 HP B&S.
Does it happen to be one wheel drive? Dont scrap the motor, put it on craigslist so it can be used by someone else.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top