• OFF TOPIC fun forum - NO politics - NO religion - NO jerks. It's not complicated. Thanks!

locking hub

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluethunder3320

Reaction score
the past week i started a full time job about 40 mins each way so ive been driving the crap out of my truck. i noticed there was grease slung all over my right front rim.

i just got aluminum rims, before that i had a completely rusted out steel rim so maybe i didnt notice the grease on it, if it has been doing this for a while.

so tonight i got some grease and pulled off the locking hub cap... which was a little loose even though the bolts were all tight. i didnt know how to take it apart past that so i just cleaned up the seal and stuck it back together.

still was a little loose.

then i took it back apart and took the splined thingy out. cleaned it, greased it, and put it all back together again. (getting the C clip back on the axle was a B****)

its still a little loose, and i tightened the allen bolts with a ratchet, if i went any more im afraid they would snap.

also i jacked up the wheel and tried rocking it back and forth, the wheel bearing has no play, but the wheel only turns about one revolution by itself before it stops. im not sure if its supposed to have this much resistance, the rear axle spins much more freely.

i can still drive it the way it is but over time it loses grease....

OzFab

Reaction score
On the resistance thing: There should be some resistance on all wheels due to the brakes. If there's no resistance on the rears, I'd adjust the rear brakes

Bluethunder3320

Reaction score
On the resistance thing: There should be some resistance on all wheels due to the brakes. If there's no resistance on the rears, I'd adjust the rear brakes

the fronts are disk brakes and the backs are drums. but they have self adjusters. maybe i need to turn the adjuster manually until i feel something? wouldnt this kill gas mileage(like it sucks already i fill up twice a week)

devino246

Official DIYGK Chem Nerd
Reaction score

Brakes shouldn't produce any noticeable resistance. If they do, there's something wrong with them.

the fronts are disk brakes and the backs are drums. but they have self adjusters. maybe i need to turn the adjuster manually until i feel something? wouldnt this kill gas mileage(like it sucks already i fill up twice a week)

Ford self-adjusters suck. They rarely work. If/when you decide to adjust them by hand, adjust them out until you can just barely hear the shoes dragging. That'll take the slack out of the pedal without creating excess drag.

sexyvicta

Reaction score
the brake drum adjusters work when you use the brakes while driving in reverse. so you could try doing that a few times.

i just flick the star with a screw driver until they just drag

porsche930dude

Reaction score
there should be an o ring around the chrome hub where it seals to the steel part. It is common for the whole deal to be a bit woobly. Im not sure what the problem would be on a ford why it doesnt get tight. but you should be able to get new o rings at any auto parts store.

Status
Not open for further replies.