Locking collars

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockstomper

Reaction score
Has any one made there own locking collars??? I have looked around but what I see looks cheep like the ones northern tool sells.
It looks like the screws will strip or it will not stay tight.I really don't want the wheels moving around.

Lets see some ideas and or pics!!!!!

Mike

jr dragster T

Reaction score
I asked northern tool why threres are SOO expensive and all they could tell me was "without the part number I can not tell you why they are so expensive" I got mine at princess auto for 1.99 each!

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
now that's good advice. what's northern selling their's for? 2 bucks seems OK.

my_mini_bike

Reaction score
$2.00, thats damn good..
Think about it.. you gotta get the steel, cut it, turn in, drill out the centre, drill a hole for the screw, tap the hole and put a grub screw in.
$2 for all that... Not bad!

rockstomper

Reaction score
so everyone under stands I am not looking a the price as cheep its the way its made,They only have 1 grub screw,They are typically around 7.00.with that said I want to make sure that when tightened down the 1 screw will not strip out or the thing move when its being pushed on by the rim going around a corner.

I wanted to know if anyone has made some or if there are different styles out there,If anyone has made some just wanting to see them to get an idea!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: i MIGHT BE A LITTLE :eek:ut: :eek:ut: :eek:ut: asking this but moving wheels could not be a good thing.

Mike

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
wow, they want 7 bucks for one? that seems high. As far as making your own I can't think of a way short of turning your own on a lathe, or casting your own in a forge......

That or using a pair of Vice-Grips on the axle! :D

rockstomper

Reaction score
That or using a pair of Vice-Grips on the axle!

Robert that is funny:sifone: :sifone: :sifone: Yea the 1" ones are 7 dollars and some change the 5/8 ones are 3.99 if I recall.

Mike(rockstomper)

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
If you really doubt their abilities to hold something in place, drill some dimples for the set screw to go into on the axle you'll be installing them on, then use some threadlock on the grub and tighten it down. Guaranteed to stay in place, or your money back!

my_mini_bike

Reaction score
I have my own lathe :D
Make all my own parts :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The collars i use, i just found in my gandfathers shed.
They have two grubs screw in them and there just fine.
'Made In Canada'
Its a gold mine in there. lol honestly
i found all my pillow block bearings, collars, sprockets, wheels!
He just collects stuff that he finds...
Can someone say obsesive complusive disorder :sifone:

But remember, they're not holding your axle in place, just preventing it from sliding side to side.
not taking the full grunt of the engine pushing againt it.
..I'f you know what i mean

ironman

I'm Back!
Reaction score
just drill a 1/4 or 3/16 hole threw your axle and use a grade A bolt works great cost about a buck and will not hurt anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.