Live Axle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curtto

Reaction score
G'day im new here first thread.. just wondering if you Need to use a live axle im planing on using a new 6.5 horse honda engine. If you had all the power on one side of the cart Does it affect it much?

Thanks.. Curt

Sdannenberg3

Semi-Effective Member
Reaction score
No, you absolutely do NOT need a live axle. In fact it makes it easier to turn on pavement (unless you get a limited slip diff.) But you might notice it pulling to one side if you have it geared so there is a lot of torque. I dont know though, mines a live axle so I couldnt tell you from experience. But i know that even a lot of cars are only one wheel drive.

Curtto

Reaction score
Mm itll mainly be for offroad and ill be wanting to spin the wheels in the dirt so it looks like im going to be setting up a live axle. Thanks for that

crazycart

RedNek Engineering
Reaction score
My cart is 1 wheel drive and i can do donuts and burnouts on dirt and pavement but deep mud is a no no lol.Its a very fun cart on dirt roads, and i'd like to put a live axle on it,but i just have way to many other projects.

Curtto

Reaction score
1 wheel drive would be easier for me as i live in australia and am having a hard time finding parts for a live axle ive tried northerntool but cant get through to their international contact number.

What is a limited slip diff and what does it do?

Sdannenberg3

Semi-Effective Member
Reaction score
It is that "pumpkin" thing that you see hanging down from a cars axle in the middle. it basically lets one wheel slip a little bit while still driving the wheel. Think about running around a track. The kid on the outside has to run faster than the kid on the inside to stay parallel to him. Same thing for a live axle. The outside wheel on a turn has to spin faster than the inside wheel. If its just a live axle, it will be harder to turn, you will have more tire wear, and you could even get some hopping. But for offroad you usually dont notice as the wheels slip a bit on the dirt.

jr dragster T

Reaction score
I've got a live axle in my kart and I can spin my wheels in dirt when its live and turning on pavement for me is SOO easy its like its not even there!

modelengineer

Lord of the noise
Reaction score
Where in Australia are you? Go to a steel supply place (like Edcon Steel) and just buy a solid round bar of the size you need, and use that as an axle.

Status
Not open for further replies.