Live axle wheel hubs

Barîb

Reaction score
madprofessor suggested I look into wheel hubs from bmikarts. I realize that while these are my best option, I only have 1 3/4 inches at most of my 1” OD Hanging out on either side of the frame. So I have a 36 inch wide frame, with a 50 inch live axle. Due to the pillow blocks, I only have 1 3/4 inches on either side, and then 5 inches of a fully threaded (non-keyed step down) on either end. I need wheel hubs, so I was looking into them, but all of them seem cover at least 2 3/4 inches of the one inch part of the axle. I can move my pillow blocks in, however, I was wondering if there is a simpler way. The picture below detail the parts I can buy. The billet aluminium fits my axle, and the other one does not, the only reason I ask, is because I want to know (it’s probably a dumb question), if the aluminum ones only work for front wheel support. I only ask since I’m building a two seater go kart with a predator 212cc, with an 11 tooth clutch to a 60 tooth sprocket on the axle. Any suggestions on what to do?

Attachments

• B193C6AA-B0AD-4FB6-8DDB-FE7BEFBC6B6A.jpeg
    B193C6AA-B0AD-4FB6-8DDB-FE7BEFBC6B6A.jpeg
    494.1 KB · Views: 3
  • C10AC199-7489-47FC-882C-2BC8501D3460.jpeg
    C10AC199-7489-47FC-882C-2BC8501D3460.jpeg
    367.9 KB · Views: 3

7thofa2nd

Reaction score
I'm gonna hang around here to learn from the responses to this post... I have the same issue (kinda) coming up on my kart.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Barib, you're on the right path with the K260053 hub that's a 1" bore all the way through except for the flange itself, which is your 3/4" stepdown. The 1.75" of shaft you've got outboard of your bearings is more than sufficient for the 1" bore to ride on, and that's the only part that matters.
Just because another .75" or more of 1" hub bore will be out over your 3/4" threaded shaft is nothing to even think about. The inside edge of the hub will be bumped up against your bearing, or maybe with a washer between them, and the 3/4" axle nut will just tighten to a stop against the hub's outside edge (the 3/4" flange).
The piece of 1/4" keystock you can fit in the keyway of the 1" portion of the axle is all that's needed, you can even let the keystock extend the rest of the way through the hub all the way to the 3/4" flange if the extra keystock length is a piece you just don't feel like cutting off.
Don't know what's locking your bearing to the axle, guessing just a setscrew. I strongly recommend slapping a (2-piece) double-split locking collar up against the inside edge of the bearing. That will give enough resistance that tightening the axle nut won't drive the bearing down the shaft. No, actually that would be pulling the shaft through the bearing? Either way I say it, you're on the right path with that stepdown hub.

Barîb

Reaction score
Thanks once again madprofessor, I just ordered the 1 in to 3/4 ones, ill keep you guys posted. One more thing a bit off topic. I normally keep my cart on the back porch, bc the garage is being renovated. I have it tarped out on the grass for now, should I be worried about humidity or dew? I’m in Texas so humidity is like 100% but more importantly, Will morning dew rust the axle up? Thanks

7thofa2nd

Reaction score
Thanks once again madprofessor, I just ordered the 1 in to 3/4 ones, ill keep you guys posted. One more thing a bit off topic. I normally keep my cart on the back porch, bc the garage is being renovated. I have it tarped out on the grass for now, should I be worried about humidity or dew? I’m in Texas so humidity is like 100% but more importantly, Will morning dew rust the axle up? Thanks
Spray the axle with WD40

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida's often at max humidity here too, and we use WD-40 too. Leaves a rust preventative film on metal.
However, no preventatives yet for seat upholstery mildew.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
The DuoBlast isn't compatible with my tailgating/bleachers couch. The MoldControl says upholstery, but has too high of an alkali content for me to trust trying it.
No matter, kart is shop-kept only, will be until sold. Thanks anyway.