Limiting a comet torque converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcook3333

Dean
Reaction score
I have a TAV30 & 5hp briggs.
Going downhill, this thing wants to fly!
Looks like comet sells a limiter that you have to take apart the driver unit each time. I could limit the throttle, but I'd like to be able to limit just the torque converter for offroad use (keep it geared lower and RPMs up).

I've got 12 & 72 tooth sprockets so it's a 6:1 ratio already - that's not the problem.

Is Comet's $36 part the only way?

Thanks!

dcook3333

Dean
Reaction score
Thanks for the article. That did help.
I want to run an 18 inch balloon tire for off-road (16in turf right now), so I think I will (1) Get a lower gear and shift over to a 41 chain (2) Adjust the driven on the torque convertor as mentioned in the article to rev up more before shifting.
If that doesn't get me all the way, then I'm going to thread the rods inside the drive clutch and put a nylok nut on each. The reason I say that is because I think that's all they do to make the speed limiter (see link). The worst I can do would be ruin it, and then would just end up paying for it anyway.
http://www.comettorqueconverters.net/speedr.htm

residentg

...why did I do that?
Reaction score
Re speed limiter, it looks like all they do is put those nuts on, I would do the same as you suggest, but I would do that after I do everything else. I do not think you will need or want to. It is designed for little kids so they won't go too fast. Also, use a #40 chain, it is stronger than a 41 and just as common, if not more so.

Raywelder

Not an Adm¡nistrator
Reaction score
Re speed limiter, it looks like all they do is put those nuts on, I would do the same as you suggest, but I would do that after I do everything else. I do not think you will need or want to. It is designed for little kids so they won't go too fast. Also, use a #40 chain, it is stronger than a 41 and just as common, if not more so.

The size and strength difference between the two is tremendous.

dcook3333

Dean
Reaction score
Yes, I'll be switching over to a 40 chain with 9t/60t combination of sprockets. Will do that and adjust the torque converter before trying to limit it. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.