Like father like son

Status
Not open for further replies.

RetroVending

New member
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Hi my dad and me are building a mini bike together.I entered it in the build off. But I want to be a bigger part than washing wheels and watching. I know more about go-karts so I'm clueless on mini bikes. So help me out.
 

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
74
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
A mini bike is a lot less complicated than a kart but, with the same basic setup as far as the mechanicals go.

My advice is just jump in; ask dad what he has planned & see how you go; if you get stuck then ask for his help.

Doing is learning :thumbsup:
 

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
152
Location
Ontario, Canada
Hi my dad and me are building a mini bike together.I entered it in the build off. But I want to be a bigger part than washing wheels and watching. I know more about go-karts so I'm clueless on mini bikes. So help me out.
Welcome to the forum! Tell your dad I said "Hi!" ;)

In essence, a minibike is a go kart that's short a couple of wheels. The package may have a different presentation, but the fundamentals are pretty much the same.

The first thing you can do is drive your dad nuts asking questions and offering to do things. If you don't know how, ask him to show you, and instruct you. We learn by observing, asking questions, and trying things. Frankly, we learn by making mistakes, too- so don't be afraid to try something for fear of goofing up, and don't be too hard on yourself when you do goof up. I'm sure your dad won't steer you wrong!
 

Orange Krate

Active member
Messages
1,117
Reaction score
14
Location
North Texas
Tell your dad you can't learn anything by just watching. Don't let him take the tools away from you. Remind him that it's YOUR minibike and how does he expect you to learn if you don't do keep your hands on it

If you want to get inspired read this book

And, oh yeah, :welcome2:son :rolleyes: Now, put down your phone and go outside and get to work:wai:
 

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
74
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia

Yeah, I know about that, I know the father & son connection but, the advice orange crate gave he was giving himself :huh:

This is where I want to put the brakes

There has been much discussion about this idea. Personally, I don't think it's a good one because:
1. It will tend to shorten the life of the sprocket by wearing it down
2. If not set up correctly, it may damage the caliper.

That being said, that setup kinda limits your options so wait for others to respond & see what they have to say...
 

Orange Krate

Active member
Messages
1,117
Reaction score
14
Location
North Texas
I'm kind of a control freak and sometimes find myself taking over too much. Was reminding him not to let me do that LOL!

I'm going to take the brake discussion over to the build thread...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top