Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim454

Reaction score
I have two 55 watt roll bar lights on my cart .Is there a way I can run them off the engine and lose the battery .I am using a 12 volt garden tractor battery.:idea2:

KieranM

Doin It!!
Reaction score
Yea if you have a magneto and a decent engine, 55watt is what the Yamaha blasters (200cc 2 stroke) sometimes have, use the power from the mag.

jim454

Reaction score
O.K.I know this is a dumb question .Where is the Magneto?I am new to these little engine's I have allready had the flywheel off to put a kill switch in.Could you give me a picture of where to run the wire .I would greatly apreciate it.

B man

Tecumseh FTW!
Reaction score
Would the same thing work with a tecumseh? with like lawn mower lights? i didnt want to start another thread on the same idea. but is it the same principle?

anderkart

Reaction score
Only if you have a charging coil.

That's right, magnetos are made to produce spark to run the engine.
Charging coils are made for running lights and/or charging the battery.

Sometimes small engines come equipped with charging coils, usually just on the electric start models.
But you can sometimes buy a charging coil, the matching flywheel (and possibly the needed rectifier/voltage-regulator) to install a charging system on engines that didn't originally come with them.

If your small industrial engine only has 1 (kill-switch) wire it most likely doesn't have a charging coil.
If your engine has 3 or more wires it might.

anderkart

Reaction score
Can you just hook wires up to the coil that is on the flywheel for the plug wires to run lights?

That would be just like turning on a kill switch, except you'd be grounding spark through the filament in the light bulb.

You need a charging coil or just hook up lights to a battery and re-charge it with a battery charger when needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.