Lightest Brake Caliper + Disc

stetson

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I'm looking to buy the lightest possible brake caliper and disc. My only requirement is that the disc has to be a minimum of 3 mm thick and the parts can't be meant for a bike.

Thanks for any help!

stetson

Reaction score
Oh yeah, that makes sense. Sorry for the vague question. This is for a fuel efficient vehicle competition, specifically the Shell Eco-marathon. All we care about is making a light car and passing tech inspection. I was just curious if anyone in the in the go-kart world had recommendations for lightweight brakes, as go-kart brakes seem like they would be lighter than normal cars or motorcycle brakes.

As for hydraulic or mechanical, we're looking for hydraulic. And for why not bike parts, the rules specifically say that we can't use bike parts.
The lightest we've been able to find so far are the PS1 or GP200 brakes from Wilwood.

TNThomas

Reaction score
I am not sure on how long you need to have the brake work for the competition, but I saw a ghetto setup on a motorcycle once where they didn't have a disc brake for their hydraulic braking at all. Instead they mounted their caliper so it grabbed onto the rear drive sprocket (the big sprocket), on the small area that the chain didn't connect to. You would not want to oil your chain in this case. But hey, less weight!

stetson

Reaction score
I am not sure on how long you need to have the brake work for the competition, but I saw a ghetto setup on a motorcycle once where they didn't have a disc brake for their hydraulic braking at all. Instead they mounted their caliper so it grabbed onto the rear drive sprocket (the big sprocket), on the small area that the chain didn't connect to. You would not want to oil your chain in this case. But hey, less weight!
Lol this sounds interesting. I doubt the judges would let that slide but maybe we'll ask them for next year.

jae_roughneck

Reaction score
Have you searched pocket bike brakes?
Looking very similar to bicycle brakes, but made and sold for a pocket bike...

JimD

Reaction score
TNThomas -- back in the 60's several of the racing kart manufacturers used the rear sprocket for the brake using either hydraulic or mechanical brake. But like you indicated, over oiling the chain made this set up nearly useless once the sprocket got coated with oil. But it was better than a scrub brake on the wheel and it did eliminate parts and weight.

What is the engine they are using now in the Shell-eco marathon, still a Briggs?