Light flywheel question

Status
Not open for further replies.

vegasboy

Reaction score
I want to get a thin lightweight billet flywheel for my 212. What will be the benefits of this mod, if any? Will it affect idle at all? Will it affect pull starting? Thanks

Bbqjoe

Banned
Reaction score
No, no, and no.
They look cool, that's about it. It will be under your pull start cover, so no one will even see it anyway.
You can't run engine based electricity with them either.
They cost about a hundred bucks. IMO, that money could be better spent elsewhere.

Flyinhillbilly

The great cornholio
Reaction score
The weight of a flywheel helps keep the engine spinning at idle, a lighter one may need to idle a little higher. The main reason for a light flywheel is to help an engine rev quicker, but it hurts the initial "hit" when the clutch engages due to less inertia in the engines rotating assembly.

vegasboy

Reaction score
So, a no go on a street motorcycle daily driver? Going to order a larger rear sprocket to help with acceleration. Thought maybe a lighter flywheel would help. My buddy assumed it would make the motor more snappy.

Bbqjoe

Banned
Reaction score
So, a no go on a street motorcycle daily driver? Going to order a larger rear sprocket to help with acceleration. Thought maybe a lighter flywheel would help. My buddy assumed it would make the motor more snappy.

Well, since your buddy's not here, it'll be up to you to tell him to slip into this, sit down, and give it a rest. :D

In order to get your engine snappier, it's gonna take much more before a flywheel will affect anything.

Attachments

• SJ.jpeg
    SJ.jpeg
    6.7 KB · Views: 37

vegasboy

Reaction score
Well, I don't want to give up torque for sure. My vehicle is light but I am not. Would've installed torque converter but ran out of room so clutch is only option. I'm fine with it's currently top speed. Just trying not to get ran over at stop lights. Lol

KartFab

Reaction score
on cars that are stick shift, light flywheels make them stall easier.

on mini bikes, drag racers like to use them because it helps accelerate faster

on go karts, some people dont like to use them because it helps the kart decelerate on turns, so it bogs down with less rotating mass, just like a car would when a load is applied when you are letting the clutch out.

accelerates/decelerates faster. Not necessarily a good thing unless you are into racing in a straight line and dont care about turns/shifting problems at low rpms.

Status
Not open for further replies.