Light Box sign for wifes shopfront

Status
Not open for further replies.

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
So my wife owns a shop that sells skin/hair care products, and she has just moved into another mall in town. There is a lot more foot traffic there, and we decided to make the change. Definitely for the better.

What she needed now however was a much better sign for the shop. I have been looking at what other shops have, and they all seem to have these illuminated light boxes with their signage printed on a Perspex panel on the front. You guys know what I mean.....

So I went out and started pricing what it would cost to have one made up to the size that we wanted, and I nearly choked at the prices. So me being a guy who thinks he can make the same type of thing for cheaper, went out and after a bit of googling learned that it was not too hard to make one myself. Instead of aluminium though, I went with making it out of wood.

I wanted to make a sign that was 1.3mX0.4m. I bought a sheet of melamine that was big enough to get all the pieces out of it that I needed and had it cut. I needed 2 x (40cm X 15cm) pieces for the sides, and 2 x (130cm X 15cm) pieces for the other two sides. The back piece was 1.268m X 0.4m. I got the wood cut at a local hardware store.

For the light, I bought a fluorescent strip light with two bulbs. It is 1.2m long, so it fits snugly in the box. I also bought a length of cord for the light as well as assorted wood screws.

The first thing that I did was screw/glue all the sides together to make the basic frame. I then slid the back pice in at an angle and knocked it down so that it fitted snug. I then screwed it to the frame as well. I was drilling pilot holes for the screws as well as countersinking the heads.

I then put the light together and screwed it to the inside of the box frame. I also drilled a hole in the top of the box for the cord to come out.

We are having the Perspex ordered and the signage done by a sign company in town, so hopefully we get that this week some time. I will then drill holes in that so that we can screw it to the edge of the box frame. I hope it will look nice.

Here are some pics of the build process. Sorry I didn't take an initial pic of all the pieces lying in a pile, but I forgot

Doing it DIY style will probably only cost me 1/4 of what a proper one would cost

Attachments

• 260120131182.jpg
    260120131182.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 260120131184.jpg
    260120131184.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 260120131185.jpg
    260120131185.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 260120131187.jpg
    260120131187.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 260120131189.jpg
    260120131189.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 260120131201.jpg
    260120131201.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 260120131198.jpg
    260120131198.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 260120131197.jpg
    260120131197.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 260120131194.jpg
    260120131194.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 260120131192.jpg
    260120131192.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 7

OzFab

Reaction score
Nice work man. I've gotta ask, how is it mounted; not saying it'll be difficult, just curious :)

I did something similar to this a coupla years ago for my mate with clear glass in the top for multi layer drawing; same concept, different size.

If I may be so bold as to make a suggestion: If you can find some uneven aluminium J channel to attach to the front, the sign will slide in & give it a bit of a classier look

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I might have a look at that J channel fabroman. It does look like it would look nicer. I an not too sure of mounting yet. I have a few ideas so far, but havent decided yet. I could hang it on bolts or bolt it to the wall. What you guys think?

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
You could either hang it like a picture, or screw right through the backer into a wall. You could also trim the plexiglass (perspex?) with whatever channel you like, and hinge it at the top. Simply flip the 'glass up to service the tubes.

OzFab

Reaction score
Here's an interesting idea that would look great for a shop that sells skin/hair care products: hemp rope. Drill two holes along the front to back centreline, thread the rope through & knot it at both ends. Attach two large hooks to the wall or ceiling & there you go :D

Screwing through the back is also a good idea for a bit of added strength. You could always do both & just have the rope as "dressing"

Do you plan to paint the box? I know a great technique to achieve a woodgrain effect ;)

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
.... plexiglass (perspex?)....

Yup, thats the same stuff. We just call it Perspex here. Its a brand name that has just stuck for all types of plexiglass

Here's an interesting idea that would look great for a shop that sells skin/hair care products: hemp rope. Drill two holes along the front to back centreline, thread the rope through & knot it at both ends. Attach two large hooks to the wall or ceiling & there you go :D

Screwing through the back is also a good idea for a bit of added strength. You could always do both & just have the rope as "dressing"

Do you plan to paint the box? I know a great technique to achieve a woodgrain effect ;)

Thanks Fabroman, I will run the rope idea past my wife.

I wasn't going to paint the box. I was just going to leave it white but touch up the sides of the panels with white paint where the wood is showing. That is one of the reasons I bought melamine. The white plastic coating will reflect the light more. I am going to have to test paints out on it to see what will work best.

I am just not too sure where I would get that J channel aluminium. I am going to have to ask around. I like that idea.

Toystory. I will also run the hinge idea past my wife. Thats another good idea. I am not too bothered with removing a few screws though to service the lights.

Thats why I love this forum. You get ideas for every typre of thing and not just karts. Thanks guys

OzFab

Reaction score
I wasn't going to paint the box. I was just going to leave it white

:yawn: BORING!

That is one of the reasons I bought melamine. The white plastic coating will reflect the light more.

Great idea.... for the inside

I am going to have to test paints out on it to see what will work best.

You'll need to scuff the heck out of the melamine before you paint it

Thats why I love this forum. You get ideas for every typre of thing and not just karts. Thanks guys

We're men of many talents :D

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan of painting Melamine, but I have to do it occasionally. Tony's right- sanding it but good is a good plan. Use a good quality primer, preferably oil-based if you can still get it. Otherwise, you're able to bet on adhesion issues. The only saving grace is that it won't be handled very frequently.

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
Instead of using J channel alluminium (which I couldn't find anywhere), I bought 90 degree alluminium. What I did was attach it to the box with a little bit sticking over the top for the sighn to slide in.

I still have to hang it, and do some cosmetic fixes, but otherwise I am pretty much done.

The wife likes the white, so it is going to stay that way.

I have one or two more pics of the completed sign, but I can't seem to find them now. I will post them when I do

Attachments

• 010220131207.jpg
    010220131207.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 010220131208.jpg
    010220131208.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 010220131209.jpg
    010220131209.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 010220131210.jpg
    010220131210.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 6

machinist@large

Reaction score
Instead of using J channel alluminium (which I couldn't find anywhere), I bought 90 degree alluminium. What I did was attach it to the box with a little bit sticking over the top for the sighn to slide in.

:confused: Huh... it's weird that you weren't able to find any; here in the States, it's no farther away than the phone book. I would have thought that if you could find it on your continent, S. Africa would have been the place. Any idea's why not?:popcorn::thumbsup:

Pat

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
Looking pretty clean! Action Products? What are we selling?

Thanks Chris! It is actually TriAction Products. She makes and sells hair and skin products for alopecia, psoriasis, skin pigment problems etc. She has a shop as well as a online business via her website.

:confused: Huh... it's weird that you weren't able to find any; here in the States, it's no farther away than the phone book. I would have thought that if you could find it on your continent, S. Africa would have been the place. Any idea's why not?:popcorn::thumbsup:

Pat

We do get J channel here in South Africa, but for some reason it is just not widely used. I called all the hardware stores, as well as tile merchants and other places too. It seemed like few places have ever even carried it as a product. :( I think it would be easier to find in the larger cities, but in my town it seems to be pretty uncommon. That is why I had to settle for the other stuff. It worked out OK for me though.

Here is a pic of the sign being loaded into the car to take it to the shop. As soon as its up (probably this weekend) I will take another "final" pic for you guys

Attachments

• 2013-02-08-002.jpg
    2013-02-08-002.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 9

jamyers

Reaction score
Heh heh...

Soo what would Jacko be doing right now if he were alive???

Clawing at the coffin lid!

Harrrr harrrr harrrr!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.