Lifan 200cc Clone Offroad Kart

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb032295

New member
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Hey guys/gals, just wanted to post this here to share my ideas and maybe give someone some inspiration to do this, as I didnt see many builds like this around the forum. The goal was to have an offroad kart capable of 35mph while also having enough torque to carry 2 adults through some hilly offroad terrain.

-Tomberlin firefox 620 (had a 212 on it when I bought it)
- Lifan style engine, 16Hp, 200cc, 4 gears up, reverse down (~$325 from amazon)
- Pz27 carb
- Custom hand shifter fab'd from some round stock and a few pillow blocks
- Bicycle brake lever for clutch (manual), mounted on hand shifter
- Fabricated exhaust header with Walker 22229 muffler, good sound but comfortably quiet
- Modified JT sprocket 1213.37 for "rear" sprocket, 12t on engine

The goal was achieved with this build. It has nice top speed (no solid numbers yet) and enough torque to carry 2 adults up some pretty serious hills. Here are a few pics. Not everything above is shown here, there are more to come.
 

Attachments

  • 20181016_211801.jpg
    20181016_211801.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
  • 20181016_212048.jpg
    20181016_212048.jpg
    426.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 20181016_212232.jpg
    20181016_212232.jpg
    617.7 KB · Views: 22

Kartorbust

Inmate #627
Messages
4,544
Reaction score
1,008
Location
Utica, NE
I was planning on either using that engine, though the motorcycle version...1 down 5 up, no reverse as I was possibly planning on using a FNR gearbox possibly with hi and lo range. Or use a Honda Rebel 234cc engine. Anywho, I know these Lifans use a #40 chain, what is the sprocket tooth count you chose for the axle? I have a 60tooth on hand for the single seater I'll be using (if I plan on using the Lifan 200), other wise I'm going with a 72 tooth 520 chain sprocket.

How well does this handle with 2 grown adults on it in the woods?
 

jtb032295

New member
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
37t 420 on the axle.. The engine actually came with a 520 sprocket, but I switched it out for a 12t 420 sprocket. It handles ok in the woods, but seems a little light on the front. It tends to push the front wheels a little with 2 people... I'm still working on fixing that somehow.
 

Kartorbust

Inmate #627
Messages
4,544
Reaction score
1,008
Location
Utica, NE
Try putting your battery tray under the steering column. You'll need to make a new battery box, but it'll help with the weight a bit. Maybe go up a size in the battery too, like maybe an automotive one over a motorcycle one, added weight with a bonus of more cold cranking amps, so well as more potential power for lights.
 

jtb032295

New member
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
I don't currently have a video, but I'll try to get one... The battery idea is a good one, but it's kinda tight up in the front (leg area) with two adults in it... I'm concerned a decent size battery will take up too much space.
 

Kartorbust

Inmate #627
Messages
4,544
Reaction score
1,008
Location
Utica, NE
I'm thinking like a group 86 battery. Other wise you may need to add some 1/4" steel plate to the front end.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top