Left the choke on..

BMPoland1993

Member
Messages
62
Reaction score
18
Hey,

I accidentally left the choke lever in the engaged position on my 420cc engine buggy, and I let my friend ride it.. for 30 minutes. He didn't notice, but I did as soon as I got on it. I turned off the engine, disengaged the choke lever, and tried firing up the engine. I have a straight pipe header on my engine, and when turning the ignition key, the pipe produces giant blue flames, with and "Whoomph" sound to them. Of course the enigne does not start up as usual.

I guess it's flooded, but I wanted to know for sure, so here I am.

I would appreciate any help.

Thank you,

B.
 

BMPoland1993

Member
Messages
62
Reaction score
18
I tried pulling the spark plug out yesterday in the darkness, but ended up unscrewing the main thread from the engine block. Will try again today.
 

BMPoland1993

Member
Messages
62
Reaction score
18
Guys, I was equipped with a flashlight! What I meant was that there is a threaded insert, which is screwed into the block of the engine. Into that insert goes the spark plug. The last time I was inspecting the spark plug I must have tightened it a bit too much, thus locking it strongly within that "insert"... so when I tried to take the spark plug out last night, the insert came out, not the plug.

I hope that clears things up a little.
 

pearl111

Well-known member
Messages
1,166
Reaction score
434
Location
Baltimore, Maryland
Guys, I was equipped with a flashlight! What I meant was that there is a threaded insert, which is screwed into the block of the engine. Into that insert goes the spark plug. The last time I was inspecting the spark plug I must have tightened it a bit too much, thus locking it strongly within that "insert"... so when I tried to take the spark plug out last night, the insert came out, not the plug.

I hope that clears things up a little.
Wow, that sounds interesting, do you think you could post some pics.?
 

panchothedog

Well-known member
Messages
2,923
Reaction score
3,964
What kind of engine do you have ? Have never heard of a insert into which the spark plug is screwed onto. I think MAD got it right, sounds like a
heli -coil was put into a stripped out hole. By the way, and I'm not trying to be a smart *** here, if you don't have a lighted area to work on your kart wait until it gets daylight again. Flashlight repairs are for emergencies when you break down on the road and have no other choice.
 

Denny

Canned Monster
Messages
12,013
Reaction score
8,521
Location
Mayberry, Indiana
You might want to change the oil and spark plug before restarting, or trying to. You also might want to use some red Loc-Tite on that heli-coil also. Just a little bit!
 

65ShelbyClone

Active member
Messages
690
Reaction score
198
Location
SoCal
so when I tried to take the spark plug out last night, the insert came out, not the plug.

I hope that clears things up a little.

It doesn't because what you're describing is not physically possible.

Can you at least take a picture of what's going on?
 

NubsWithGuns

New member
Messages
14
Reaction score
3
So much doom and gloom right from the first reply over some unburnt fuel?

Also no one seemed to wonder how it ran for 30 minutes on the choke.
I would guess its time to stop using crap (ehtanol and dont bother me with your snake oil stabil crap lol),fuel and clean the carb.(this doesn't mean spray a can of carb cleaner down the throat, actually take it apart and clean it).

But maybe have someone else do it so we dont have another mystery insert coming out??
 

NubsWithGuns

New member
Messages
14
Reaction score
3
You might want to change the oil and spark plug before restarting, or trying to. You also might want to use some red Loc-Tite on that heli-coil also. Just a little bit!
Changing the oil is a waste of time until it runs again.
Besides it not being the problem.
 

MWKarter

Member
Messages
54
Reaction score
26
Location
Madison, WI
It would seem that if the heli-coil came out with the plug that either the heli-coil was improperly installed or he stripped out the heli-coil threads from the head. My .02
 
Top