LED lights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

n3480h

Reaction score
Anyone using LED offroad driving lights on their kart? If so, what type and wattage? Are they sufficient?

Thanks!

Tom

joshkidner

Reaction score
LED lights are usually very bright and use very little electricity making them optimal for karts that have very small lighting coils. I don't know how many people actually use them though.

OzFab

Reaction score
LED lights are usually very bright and use very little electricity making them optimal for karts that have very small lighting coils.

All true; as a result, it's difficult to say what wattage you need as a 2watt LED can be as bright as a 50watt halogen bulb...

When researching LEDs, you need to look for "candle power", Lumens or a wattage comparison (if provided)

I don't know how many people actually use them though.

Not many AFAIK; unless you have electric start on your engine, it's rather difficult to keep a battery charged

n3480h

Reaction score
Several reasons I brought it up: The 7hp Duromax I bought for the kart has both a recoil and an electric starter, and therefore some small ability to charge a battery. And, I have a very thick hardwoods grove on the property with a twisty trail I've carved through it. So thick it's kinda dark in there, lol. And since the kart is being built for the grandkids, the safety and "cool" factor is important.

Evilbay lists a number of options. The ones I like look like miniature dune buggy or sand rail lights, 2" square, with Cree LEDs in 2 to 10 watts. While not sufficient for 65mph highway driving, I think a couple mounted under the roll cage would be fine for a 15-20 mph kart, for flat trail fun.

Tom

joshkidner

Reaction score
I'd go 10w. That's still less than a standard CFL light bulb but if you have a charging system that's enough to power an electric starter then you can power 20w for 2 lights I'm sure

KartFab

Reaction score
So I have a question related to this as well.

If you just do the math, can you convert amps to watts and be good? How much would a small motorcycle/or lawn mower battery require to maintain charge?

E.g. Given a 20 amp charge coil, 10 amp, 5 amp, 3 amp. What is the max wattage you could run with and without a battery?

ML-TOYS

Reaction score
I use these type of fog light bulbs for cars. I use headlamp housings that are like from the apx mini harley. To light them up you can use either a small sla battery, or what i did for one kid was to use 2 6v lantern batteries from harbor freight.
Led bulbs will not kill batteries fast so thats why i use them and they are bright if you get the right ones.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 5

joshkidner

Reaction score
I'm most sure if you can convert them but your coil should have a watt rating. I don't know if they would all be labeled though.

Status
Not open for further replies.