Lawnmower engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carbon

Electric Dreamer
Reaction score
I know the issues with a vertical driveshaft in a lawnmower engine, but couldnt you mount the clutch and axle gears sideways and attach the axle gear to the input shaft of a differential
mount the gear and chain setup below the engine and rear wheels (ground clearance permitting) and put the input shaft of the diff facing down...i'll post pictures

carbon

Electric Dreamer
Reaction score

there could be some variations on this like an F1-style diff/transmission unit, or mounting the engine above the diff and making it direct drive or using some sort of strange vertical input and output torque converter...
endless possibilties...you just have to buy a differential

Kenny_McCormic

Kartless....
Reaction score
Using a lawmower tranny would work best, I was gonna do this till the engine was needed elsewhere and I bought my manco for $50, still have the trans, tires and rims all assembled and RTR. If i ever get me a vert shaft in the 8+ hp range you can guess what its getting used for.

carbon

Electric Dreamer
Reaction score
hang on, im trying to post a picture but its not working...

ed1380

Banned
Reaction score
i was going to do that but the local lawnmower repain guy said that the tractor gearboxes are rated for only 12mph. higher than that and the bushings go.
ive seen someone put a small sprocket on the tranny and a larger one on the axle

Kenny_McCormic

Kartless....
Reaction score
i was going to do that but the local lawnmower repain guy said that the tractor gearboxes are rated for only 12mph. higher than that and the bushings go.
ive seen someone put a small sprocket on the tranny and a larger one on the axle

Find a used one for free (knowing the right people can get you 90s riders with blown 12.5 hp briggs flat heads (they used too weak of a rod and blew up alot) and find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.