Lawn Mower Safety Switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaiSan76

Reaction score
I know a few people here have modded lawn mowers into go carts. When you disable the safety switches, do you solder the 2 wires together? I have an old John Deere that I want to turn into a mini-truck for my kids, and the safety switches are keeping it from starting.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Depends on the circuitry they used- some are normally open, some normally closed (like Fowler was saying). Most I've seen are normally open, and close when activated- so you can literally cut the wires and forget about 'em.

To find out for sure- start the engine, and just unplug the switch (if it has a plug, or undo or cut one wire) if the engine stays running, it's normally open and you're fine to just remove it. If the engine dies, cut the other wire and connect the two cut wires together (switch was normally closed).

DaiSan76

Reaction score
I figured out what the problem was. The parking Brake switch was not working correctly, and so in order to start it, I needed to depress the seat switch.

DaiSan76

Reaction score
Wow, that thing is a mess underneath. There must be 10 pulleys That rotate the belt 90 degrees. On the plus side, when I decide to take that axle out and use it for a build, I don't have to use a vertical shaft motor, because the hydro-static drive already takes a horizontal shaft.

Status
Not open for further replies.