Latest build

txluke

Reaction score
20221118_131044.jpg
RCF standard frame and fuel tank. I have 10" dirt bike wheels with drum brakes. It is powered by a mild 5hp with a torque converter. I just put DOT street tires on it and I am in the middle of putting front suspension forks on it. I have a 20v to 12v adaptor for my Dewalt battery, head light, tail light, horn and switches. When it thaws out I hope to be able to have this street legal.

panchothedog

Reaction score
Nice looking bike. The wheels really set it off. STREET LEGAL ? Maybe in Texas. Don't know if they might be a little more relaxed there rules and regulations. If you were here in California you would be a LONG way away from achieving your goal.

txluke

Reaction score
Nice looking bike. The wheels really set it off. STREET LEGAL ? Maybe in Texas. Don't know if they might be a little more relaxed there rules and regulations. If you were here in California you would be a LONG way away from achieving your goal.
I bought the frame as a weld together kit. This will let me register it as an "assembled motorcycle". The first step is to prove I built it with receipts and pics. I can then get a VIN assigned to it. I then have to have it inspected by an ASE master mechanic. They check to make sure it is legal. In Texas a motorcycle needs DOT certified hi/low beam headlight, DOT tires, working brakes (only rear for under 250cc), tail/brake light, horn and mirror.

txluke

Reaction score
Neat build. 1 question . . .

View attachment 135863
I wish! I ordered the wrong clamps. They are made for 1 1/8" bars so I had to buy shims for my 7/8 bars (blue tape holding them in place during mockup). The studs were not threaded all the way so to make them fit, I had to use spacers. The axles have the same problem also so I will run threads on everything and cut them shorter.

txluke

Reaction score
Do you have much experience riding with ape-hangers? Not the same on a motorcycle as on a minibike. Very unstable, be sure about it before building to or locking anything down until you know how it'll handle.
The bars are only 1" taller than the stock ones. The reason I want it street legal is to take it camping with me. A lot of rv parks only allow electric ot street legal scooters and bikes. I have seen a bunch of people go to the Honda Monkeys or a Ruckus. Being street legal, they can drive anywhere. I have a 45' toy hauler and I take my golf cart but I want to cruise my mini.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
I should clarify about the ape-hangers..............While they can be fairly controllable short of getting the mini sideways, it's the apparent forward tilt of the mocked up bars that makes it look so dangerous to me. That same angle towards the rear would double the controllability.