Kt196 coleman wont pull i think this part if missing

gglouse

Reaction score
Is there supposed to be some sort of lock washer that goes here in the hole I put the screw back in but it just spins when gas is applied. If anyone one know the part number or size let me know thanks. This is the side where the chain lead to axle I think it's called the jack shaft sprocket

Attachments

• 20230401_124031.jpg
    20230401_124031.jpg
    841.3 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

BaconBitRacing

Reaction score
Is there supposed to be some sort of lock washer that goes here in the hole I put the screw back in but it just spins when gas is applied. If anyone one know the part number or size let me know thanks. This is the side where the chain lead to axle I think it's called the jack shaft sprocket
It seems you are missing your key. 6D7A6A1F-98E5-4DCA-8B5E-1F9C39D59BA5.jpegIf you look at the shaft and the gear, there will be a “canyon” it’s called a key way. A key goes in the key way (as the name implies) and it is what makes your shaft move the gear. That’s were I’d start, take tape measure or a ruler and find the width of the key way.

JimD

Reaction score
What is the bore size of the sprocket 3/4" or 5/8""?? You are missing the insert that lines up with the keyway on the inside shaft. Where are you located? i can cut a piece of stock in either size and bore a hole through for your bolt. Do me a favor and measure what the length of your bolt is right now. I would think everything has to be shoved on the shaft further or you have to shove the shaft back out so it protrudes through the sprocket. Some is wrong if the bolt goes that far into the sprocket. How about some picture of the other end of that shaft. My first guess is something walked inward when the bolt fell out.

Isaacc

Reaction score
I also need the exact same parts and looked it up online. I think that Coleman should have a recall on this because it just falls out with regular use.
Theses are the following parts that you need but I was hoping someone would have the dimensions of the bolt since Coleman will not give it to me. I would rather purchase the bolt locally as opposed to paying 35 dollars including 25 dollars of shipping for a bolt, washer, and flat key which is out of stock on the Coleman website. Can someone help out with the bolt size and dimensions.

13)SKU: 90691-110-0009 washer that is 6x25x2
14)SKU: BGB16674-M6X16-n hexagon flange Bolt M6x16 - This is the one that I need the dimesions of if someone could help out please
15)SKU: B51-5x17-5D - Flat Key

jon2523

Reaction score
I also need the exact same parts and looked it up online. I think that Coleman should have a recall on this because it just falls out with regular use.
Theses are the following parts that you need but I was hoping someone would have the dimensions of the bolt since Coleman will not give it to me. I would rather purchase the bolt locally as opposed to paying 35 dollars including 25 dollars of shipping for a bolt, washer, and flat key which is out of stock on the Coleman website. Can someone help out with the bolt size and dimensions.

13)SKU: 90691-110-0009 washer that is 6x25x2
14)SKU: BGB16674-M6X16-n hexagon flange Bolt M6x16 - This is the one that I need the dimesions of if someone could help out please
15)SKU: B51-5x17-5D - Flat Key
My digital caliper has the following for that exact bolt:

Bolt Length = .84 inches or 21.5mm
Bolt diameter (neasuring at threads not bolt head) = .22 inches or 5.6mm

Here's the other info in case you need it:

Larger Washer diameter (Not a flat washer. It's concave) = .97 inches or 24.6mm
Small lock washer diameter = .38 inches or 9.6mm
Flat key length = .66 inches or 16.8mm
Flat key width = .19 inches or 4.9mm

Isaacc

Reaction score
Awesome Jon2523. Thank you so very much for taking the time to measure and post. I got the response that I have been looking for and my kids will be happy to be able to drive once again. I bet that you will have helped a lot more folks because this bolt seems to just fall out on these go karts.

BaconBitRacing

Reaction score
Awesome Jon2523. Thank you so very much for taking the time to measure and post. I got the response that I have been looking for and my kids will be happy to be able to drive once again. I bet that you will have helped a lot more folks because this bolt seems to just fall out on these go karts.
Poor design. I don’t even know how that gets to market, they could just overbuild things a bit and people wouldn’t have these problems. At least we have this forum so we can help each other out. :)

jon2523

Reaction score
Fantastic! I'm glad I could help!

brandyk

Reaction score
Hi so we also bought our kids a Coleman go kart and we are having an issue. The thing the key way fits into is cracked and we need to order a new one but dont know what to order

JimD

Reaction score
Come on now EZGO nothing is ruined on this site , just a bigger challenge. Brandy, where are you located-what state? I have to admit the design leaves a little to be desired but it is fixable. Too damn cold for a go kart right now, at least in Illinois. Send me the sprocket and if you have the key send that too but it is not needed, just nice to compare how distorted the shaft keyway is. Put the sprocket on the shaft before you send it to me and include a piece of wood the exact length from the shaft end to the outside edge of the sprocket when it is on the shaft. This way I know how long to make the insert.

Reading Jon2523 it sounds like it is a 6mm bolt. Go to you local hardware store and buy an M6 bolt and the thread is 1.0. See if that fits in the hole in that shaft and let me know. When you buy the hex head bolt get it at least 30mm to 40mm long You want a lot of threads goin into the shaft. The reason it is falling out is there is not enough bolt length going into it to hold it on.

My address, look it up on the web site--Max-Torque, Ltd.

brandyk

Reaction score
Florida. And I bought a 3/16 in key way from tractor supply last night. But there was still a lot of wiggle room left when he put it in there so he welded a little metal on there sanded it down and now it's good to go

JimD

Reaction score
I sure hope he welded to the key and not the shaft. Since everything on the kart is metric you should be looking for metric keys either 6mm (.236) or 5mm (.197). There is still a big void from the end of the shaft and the end of the sprocket. This should be filled in with a plug so the pressure is on the shaft not just on the bolt that is hanging in the air.