KT 196 stage 1 shutting off at top speed

Mrben522

Reaction score
I have a 2020 coleman kt196 with a stage 1 performance kit (header, air filter, .038 carb jet, 18lb valve springs) and the governor bypassed (done by previous owner, I know it's not the best way to go about it.) It runs great for the most part and gets up to 37mph on a flat, the problem I have is that if you're going down a hill and it gets over about 43mph the motor will die and won't start back up for about 90 seconds. Not a huge deal because honestly anything over 35 feels pretty sketchy anyways but I'd like to know what's causing it. If anyone has experienced this kind of thing before if love to hear about it.

Karttekk

Reaction score
Does it crank but not start or does it not crank? I would suspect a sticking float if it does it going downhills. Could be an ignition part getting hot too. Need more details.

Mrben522

Reaction score
it's pull start so it cranks just does't start and it only does it going down hills if you get over 43ish MPH, if I'm not getting on it hard it can go down much steeper hills without dying.

Karttekk

Reaction score
Try raising the float or check it for binding. You're pulling more fuel out of the bowl at higher speeds and since you're going downhill the fuel level may be dropping quicker than the bowl can fill. That happened with a Dodge truck I owned at one time. Dealer changed the plug wires, cap & rotor and fuel filter but when I would go down a steep hill it would quit running. Once I drifted to the side of the road the fuel in the bowl would level out and refill then I could start the truck. Can't recall whether it was the float in the tank or the carb but it was a fuel delivery issue.

Take a can of starting fluid with you for the next time you fly down a hill and it quits running. Spray some starting fluid in the carb & see if it fires up any quicker, that will tell you if the carb is emptying too quickly.

Mrben522

Reaction score
Try raising the float or check it for binding. You're pulling more fuel out of the bowl at higher speeds and since you're going downhill the fuel level may be dropping quicker than the bowl can fill. That happened with a Dodge truck I owned at one time. Dealer changed the plug wires, cap & rotor and fuel filter but when I would go down a steep hill it would quit running. Once I drifted to the side of the road the fuel in the bowl would level out and refill then I could start the truck. Can't recall whether it was the float in the tank or the carb but it was a fuel delivery issue.
Great call, when I put the carb back together after changing the jet I didn't line the bowl back up exactly the same as it was when it came off and the float was catching on the drain plug.