Kohler 18hp opposed twin

Status
Not open for further replies.

exenos

Project Nut
Reaction score
Well, I just picked up a garden tractor that has a horizontal shaft opposed twin Kohler with pressure lube. Is there any thing special I should know about the opposed twins? I know they need to be kept as flat as possible.

exenos

Project Nut
Reaction score
What you need to know, is that you must give it to me. I am SO jealous! I've heard that the Kohlers are excellent engines!

I'm know, when I went to go pick this up all I knew was that I was getting a free tractor. When I saw it had a opposed twin I was happy and when I saw it was a horizontal shaft I went freakin ballistic. I was even happier ( if that is possible ) when I saw that it was pressure lubed.

exenos

Project Nut
Reaction score
I may actually get around to getting pics of this tomorrow, I still cant figure out what brand the tractor is.

exenos

Project Nut
Reaction score
Success!!!

I got the danged thing to turn over! Had the whole engine torn down because I thought that a crank bearing might have seized because it sat for a long time before I got a hold of it. Any way, it just turned out that there was a bad connection to negative/ground for the starter and once that was cleaned it'll roll over without a complaint.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
Is this it the magnum 18? Thats what i have on my red rocket tractor. Plenty of power, very torquey. I left it governed and it would still push that 500lb tractor up to 25 no problem, and flip it right over backwards if you dropped the clutch in third. I pulled my toyota pickup up hill with it once also.

The only thing to be careful of is the governor, apparently the gov internals are known for failures. i recently tore mine all apart and took it right out. haven't put it back together yet to test it without.

Only other issue i had was the charging coil was shot, i actually had two of the same engines out of tractors and both charging coils were shot.

exenos

Project Nut
Reaction score
I did try to roll it over by hand, but I only tried to turn the shaft and not the fly wheel. I required a lot more force than I had expected, hence the thought of a seized/rusted bearing.

@kaptain krunch
Yes, its the magnum and I hadn't originality planned on taking out the governor but after what you said I might.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
I did try to roll it over by hand, but I only tried to turn the shaft and not the fly wheel. I required a lot more force than I had expected, hence the thought of a seized/rusted bearing.

@kaptain krunch
Yes, its the magnum and I hadn't originality planned on taking out the governor but after what you said I might.

Theres a service bulletin somewhere for this motor, which shows you how to "pin" the governor gear in so it doesnt fall off and cause damage. I didnt even read it, just took it out. Not sure how reliable it will be without governor.

edit: http://rich.homeunix.com/gravely/engines/kohler/kohler-bulletin-246.pdf

exenos

Project Nut
Reaction score
So I dug this out today and decided to see if it'll run (I have never ran it before, just cranked it over) and surprise surprise, after filling the float bowl and a bit of gas down the carb it fired up and ran first try.

Man do these things ever put out an awesome rumble at low idle. I think this is going on my build off entry.

zbuck

Reaction score
:wai: Those Kohler mags are torque monsters. I would not mess with the governor. I have seen bad things happen, when people start messing with the governor. But to each is own.

exenos

Project Nut
Reaction score
On these engine specifically or just in general?

EDIT: Uugh. Just found out that these things weigh 130lbs DRY.:eek: No wonder I thought it was a bit on the heavy side.

DJEEPER

Reaction score
You should check out my deathtrap build. I just got it running yesterday :)

It is INSANE! 40 series TC is the way to go on this for sure.

exenos

Project Nut
Reaction score
I'll be making a clone one of one of these for this twin. Now that's what I call a death trap.

Attachments

• Mini-Buggy-GK160B-.jpg
    Mini-Buggy-GK160B-.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.