Kog'd belt VS chain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dieselrotor

Reaction score
25 year diesel mechanic and master fabricator and welder. Have built custom semi's and street rod frames and assorted heavy duty projects.
BUT NEVER BUILT A GO_KART !!!!!!!!!!!
It's for my 12 year old Daughter and I want safety to be the first consideration.
I am comfortable going either way' But I want to know from some exspirianced kart builders. If You had a choice' Would You go with a cogged (3 or 4 " wide) drive belt or go with hardened chain. She wants a two seat off road buggy.
I am lucky in the fact I have access to anything and anything I could dream of. Price is a factor but I do know how to save for things. I have a local go-kart club near and a great Northern Tool w/go-kart parts in stock. I have an electric start 20hp Ohnan engine out of a sweeper (side shaft) w/alternator-stator and cant wait to build the dash with gauges and head lights etc.
I also have a geared unit witch is about three pounds in wieght and 4x8x3 in size witch is geared 1to1 to reverse direction.

theo

Reaction score
By a cog belt, do you mean somewhat like what they use to drive a blower? 20hp ohnan man that's one heavy engine.
If you use the ohnan you will need a clutch somewhat like a comet 94C, and go with chain drive.

theo

Last edited:

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
Dang that sounds like a nice engine with all that stuff on it. You'll definitely need a good clutch or maybe a TC. What kind of output shaft is on the engine? Size?

dieselrotor

Reaction score
belt ?

Perfet-Thanks Guy's.
To tell You the truth I have not checked the shaft size. I was'nt sure what I was gonna use this engine for and have had it for years. Sat on a shelf.
It's not really that heavy. I am not going to emberass my'self and attempt to guess the weight' But working for an asphalt company a few years ago, We used honda twin cylinder 24hsp engines on the sealcoat trucks that I could lift by myself up to the deck and then lift it to the mounts. $2000.00 though.
I can not afford that. But i did'nt think it too heavy. and My motor wieghs less. I'll do some research when I get the chance. Thanks again guy's. I'll need help like this through the project.

dieselrotor

Reaction score
diesel mechanic

Yes by all means' being a diesel mechanic has it's draw backs-wheight of everything "heavy". And in the winter-DONT even get Me started :censored: .
But the positives far outway the negatives. Ironicly one of the positives are that everything is big. I hate working on cars-everything is small and tucked into holes you cant see into. engineers think of the sickest way to connect some things to others:mad2: .For the most part You stay upright working on trucks not bent under a hood. theres times You will be laying on You're back with You're left leg behind You're right ear and You're right arm bent in a 90 deg angle with You're left arm under You're back and You're right leg is doing all the work :roflol: .
I love it and could not imagine doing anything else. Also-ever spilled a little gasoline on You're self or got a little on You're hand while pumping it. IT DOES NOT COME OFF. Wheras diesel fuel washes off !!:thumbsup: . Most rebuilds are called INFRAMES. meaning the engine is not pulled and You resleave and rering in the frame. Heads whiegh a lot. Out of frames are costly and most independants and a lot of companys prefer in frames. Out of frames with the right equipmant are great.

Raywelder

Not an Adm¡nistrator
Reaction score
I would do a belt if I could, They run smooth and quiet compared to chains.
Chains are probably cheaper to run though.

robin

Reaction score
i would go chain drive belts have more roling friction aswell pluss you can split a chain to take it of you cant split a belt

ZnsaneRyder

Crazy Guy on a Bicycle
Reaction score
If you have a strong cog belt, then do that, as belts are much quieter and smoother. Also less "flop" than a chain, and much lighter too.

However, for ease of use and strength, and finding parts and a cheap clutch, a chain is great.

And V-belts plain suck, I know, my last project had a Kevlar V-belt. Quiet and very smooth, but slipped like a MF when wet, and ate clutch bushings regularly from having to tension so much to prevent slip, and that was just a 6.5HP engine making 8HP WOT.

dieselrotor

Reaction score
belt -vs-chain

Yes- I would not of even dreamed of using a v-belt. only because i had built a differant project years ago witch had to spin a very heavy cutting ring. it worked great but every time it was used, the belts had to be tensioned. I then tried a chain drive, but the chain kept stretching too. I finnally used a 3" wide cog belt and it seamed to work much better. i was limited to 3" due to space. I think if I could of used even a four inch. It would of worked perfectly.
I thank You all for you're info. It has proven very helpful. I think I am going to use a cogged belt. Once the initial cost of the parts is out of the way. I think I'll be much happier with the results.:cheers2:

Status
Not open for further replies.