Kinroad 250cc Sahara. External gearbox delete.

Rilak

Reaction score
Hey all 1st post.
The splinded shaft on the external gearbox has striped 2 times in 2 years...
We don't even use the reverse feature.
I hate dumping another $160 for a 3rd shaft.
What's a good way to delete the external gearbox and drive the axle directly from the clutch side?
We are trail camping 600 miles from home currently, so all I have is a cheap wire welder for makeshift repairs. I also did this the last time it stripped and it doesn't last long lol....
So I'm thinking taking the gearbox off and the connecting piece up to shop where someone can weld it properly ? Or is there an easier way to rig up the drive gear ? (Draw back to this the external gearbox dogs are still a weak point) .

Attachments

• IMG_20210708_080657.jpg
    IMG_20210708_080657.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 9

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Dual chains are a great thing to have, as are bash plates under them and under the brake disc. Other than that, I can't even tell what the heck I'm looking at.
I am able to see the wire welder turds all over the whatever it is and the chains though, and thinking that will preclude getting anything off of there from that direction, like maybe the sprocket under those chains.
More comprehensive pics of what you have there would help. Others here have probably had the same experience at some time.

Rilak

Reaction score
Dual chains are a great thing to have, as are bash plates under them and under the brake disc. Other than that, I can't even tell what the heck I'm looking at.
I am able to see the wire welder turds all over the whatever it is and the chains though, and thinking that will preclude getting anything off of there from that direction, like maybe the sprocket under those chains.
More comprehensive pics of what you have there would help. Others here have probably had the same experience at some time.
The external reverse gearbox shaft runs through the small sprocket. It has splines in it that fail. That shaft can spin either direction for reverse. I don't need reverse and just want a more durable forward only setup. There is a splines shaft from the clutch side which uses that coupler in the middle to connect to the reverse gearbox.
It's two male splined shafts and a double female coupler that connects them. The reverse gear box side has stripped out twice in 2 years. It's an easy fix with a 160 part but I would prefer to get rid of that side of the system and just directly attach to the axle.
Sense only the gearbox side is currently welded it will slide off clutch side very easy still.

Attachments

• 16257600457164984037729596931387.jpg
    16257600457164984037729596931387.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 8

Rilak

Reaction score
🤔 I can see why the weld doesn't hold. 🤪

Best bet may be to remove gearbox and replace with a jackshaft? Hard to see in pictures.
Search gokart jackshaft for ideas.

Oh, and :welcome2:

Good luck
Thanks much ! I cranked up the welder to full power and it's holding for now. But the jack shaft is exactly what I want. Thanks !