just got a go kart that is marked with crg please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

gglockaby

Reaction score
i got this in return for some of the rent that is owed to me not alot because even i know that there is a lot i need to do to get this going the air box is broken the throttle cable is broken and the exhaust is missing i need to find those parts and get it going and also find out the ratio on it. If someone could help me really identify this kart i would really appreaciate it.

Attachments

• crg gokart.jpg
    crg gokart.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 40

Joe-405

Enjoying New Projects
Reaction score
where is it marked crg at ? if your looking at the crg tag it should have some more writing on it after crg and that is the model. and it looks like a kt100 yamaha on it for power. Should be a fun and fast kart. We also could use some more pics if possible.

gglockaby

Reaction score
the body says crg on it so maybe the body is just crg so if its a kt100 what parts can you tell do i need the guy i got it from left it out and did not take care what a shame when i get toys like these they become my babies so i feel like I am bringing this one back to life

Attachments

• crg.jpg
    crg.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 28
  • crg gokart2.jpg
    crg gokart2.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 25
  • crg gokart1.jpg
    crg gokart1.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 24

Dirtkarter

Reaction score
It's a CRG kart (there should be a homologation tag somewhere around the back of the frame that might give you a rough date) , yamaha kt100es motor, and it does appear to have a muffler, just a junior restricted muffler, the muffler I think you have is like in the attached image. Or you can upgrade to one like on my kart. The air box doesn't appear to be broken it is the rubber boot for the air filter, the air box plugs over the filter. I will attach an image of what I mean. You will need to atleast rebuild the top end of that motor (there are heaps of parts on ebay) if the history is unknown. BTW the body kit you have on that kart is KG Unico, if you take a look on ebay there are heaps of graphics kits cheap if you want to realy make it look cool.
How many teeth on the engine sprocket and the axle sprocket? just divide them and that will give you the ratio, ie 87 divided by 9 = 9.666
Hope that helps
Justin
p.s maybe a pressure test would reveal if any bottom end work is needed on that motor http://www.dansmc.com/vacuum_testing.htm

Attachments

• 285782746.jpg
    285782746.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 21
  • P3180718.jpg
    P3180718.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 28
  • P3210712.jpg
    P3210712.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 26

anderkart

Reaction score
the body says crg on it so maybe the body is just crg so if its a kt100 what parts can you tell do i need the guy i got it from left it out and did not take care what a shame when i get toys like these they become my babies so i feel like I am bringing this one back to life

The pic of your front spindle seems to be showing a CRG label too. You could contact CRG for further Identification info at this link: http://www.crg-america.com/kart-contacts-racing-contact-us.asp

I cant tell what parts you need, but here's a link to a racekart shop in your area: http://www.paultracykarting.com/contact/

gglockaby

Reaction score
ty dirtkarter but one more question how do you start this thing there is no pull start or button or key to start it is it the kind you have to wrap the tire and pull and thats how it starts.

Joe-405

Enjoying New Projects
Reaction score
if it has a centrifugal clutch on it you can not push start it. There should be a hole in the body in front of the rear tire and usually a hex piece on the side of the clutch assembly. Only reason i know is cause i used to help make these things and start a kt100 for a friend a few times.

easiest way to tell is spin the rear axle and if it spins freely it wont push start.

pic of starters....................

Attachments

• supermini_starter.jpg
    supermini_starter.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 3

Dirtkarter

Reaction score
ty dirtkarter but one more question how do you start this thing there is no pull start or button or key to start it is it the kind you have to wrap the tire and pull and thats how it starts.

It looks like it has a clutch so you would need a starter like joe-405 just posted, or you could change to direct drive. Only issue I found with direct drive is the issue of doing a U turn in a resedential street and not stalling it. Engine starters are easy to make anyway.

bshinn

Reaction score
Start shaft is a 5/16" hex. If you have really big balls and no brains like me, you can start it with a drill & bit. BE WARNED......it's a VERY stupid thing to do.

Spend $250.00 and buy the starter. If that's more than you can afford, no offense intended , sell the Kart. In the long term that will be one of your lower expenses.

Also, If you are as new to Karting as it seems. Run it for a while with that can muffler. Granted, it's slower than one with an open pipe, but so are you. The can is much more forgiving of carb settings and could save you a $500-700 rebuild. As a bonus, you will likely be faster.

As for rebuilding the top end, I would just light it off and play and see what you have. Unless you're seriously racing these motors will last a while. If you are comfortable with it, I would buy a carb rebuild kit and rebuild the Walbro, or a new carb for $75.00. If it has been sitting for a while full of fuel that will cause problems. The big thing I would check is the clutch, you can't ride this thing around the hood without trashing it.

That Kart has some years on it (guessing between mid 90's to mid 2000's) so if you're looking to be at the front of the pack, good luck. But if you want to have a helluva good time on the "cheap" spend a coupl'a grand to get the kart sorted AND buy the proper safety gear, you scored.

gglockaby

Reaction score
ok took it to a guy in palm springs and he and I were amazed that the first try on starting it it started right up and ran but after working on it the throttle cable broke in half and the brake disc is so rusted that i need to get another one we did take one of the brake pads out just to see if the axle would spin propally and it did took the carb apart and amazingly it was in perfect shape the engine is in perfect shape so yes we are going to have spend some money on the brake rebuild and the throttle and then try to find body armor fire suit neck brace for my son so he can start racing

Status
Not open for further replies.