Just another new guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreman

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm a new guy here. I just started getting the idea to put a cart together when I saw a Chinese kart frame on Craigslist for $130. I didn't buy it, but it got me to thinking..I could build one of these pretty cheap! I'm not working right now, so money is tight, but I though it could be a good project for me and my son. Anyway, by the time I went back to look at it again, it was gone, so I started searching again. In a heavy downpour, I picked up a very used kart frame with roll cage. The guy threw in all the extra tires and old chains and parts he still had lying around. I got it home and tore it down, and found several things I thought were odd. One, the roll cage was clamped on! Two, I though it was a one wheel drive since it had a wheel hub with two flanges on it, until I found out the rear axle was slotted, and went through a tube in the frame, supported with bushings! Also, none of the wheels fit either flange! Two of the wheels were large mud tires, and the others were various 6" tires and rims. The two mud tires turned out to be 3 hole Chinese ATV 16" tall 7" rim front tires!
This is getting long, so I'll shorten it as much as possible. Here is what I did:
1. disassemble everything.
2. throw the old moldy seat padding out and replace with new plywood, foam, and vinyl.
3. picked up a predator engine from Harbor Freight.
4. laid out the two bolt patterns from the twin flanges and the Chinese rims and printed out a drilling pattern. I drilled both wheels for one of the patterns each, and cut the twin flange in half. Those are my rear hubs and wheels.
5. I looked online and found a gearing calculator for go karts. I figured that a 10 tooth clutch with a 60 tooth sprocket should work with the 16" tires.
6. I picked up a clutch, sprocket, 420 chain, and brake band online.
7. I used a bicycle brake cable to tie the accelerator pedal to the engine. Old mower parts provided the return spring and bracket.
8. The original brake band mount was cut short, so I had to use my Harbor Freight wire feed welder to attach a new bolt to hold the band.
9. Since I couldn't use the original location for the band mount, I had to fabricate an extension for the brake rod.
10. After reading the forum for a bit, I know you all will love this...I popped two new $4 front tires from Harbor freight on the front axles. I greased them up good and they fit perfectly!
11. I had to grind new slots for the engine mount, but it works.
12. I had to space the rear wheel from the sprocket to keep the chain out of the tire.

When all this was done, I filled the engine with oil and gas and it fired on the first pull! Stuck a bike helmet on my head, aired up the tires, and headed off down the street. I went around the block two or three times, and then one of the front wheels took off on it's own! I found out the hub ripped right out of the wheel flange. I dragged it home and dug out an old one that was exactly the same size off of an old wagon. That one lasted to the end of the street! So far I've gone through 4 of them, all on the same side. The other one seems fine!

Just a few observations..
1. Y'all ever hear of ackerman steering? This one was set up with "reverse" ackerman, guaranteed to wear your front tires out in record time! I'll have to fix that.
2. Harbor freight wheels are crap, but they fit. The only kart wheels I could find that had a narrow enough hub are Azusalite plastic wheels. I'll have to pick up a couple of those.
3. This thing is a scary fast blast! I had to turn the engine down before I let my son on it!

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome!!

If you had asked here before you bought the HF tyres we would have told you to save your money. They are USELESS!!!

Post a few pics of your kart for us to see

dreman

Reaction score
This is the finished kart after I dragged it back from the second broken wheel.

dreman

Reaction score

Here are some more pictures of our kart.

---------- Post added at 05:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:59 PM ----------

When I was in college I headed up the Formula SAE team. I learned about suspension geometry, welding, heat treating, and all sorts of other things having to do with race car fabrication. One thing I learned about was steering geometry, specifically "Ackerman" steering, where the inner wheel runs a tighter circle than the outer wheel to make for smooth steering. This kart was made at the factory with the opposite of Ackerman steering, where the inside wheel turns less than the outer wheel, guaranteeing high tire wear on paved streets. Is it common for these type of karts to have the steering arms angled like in the pictures in the previous post?

---------- Post added at 05:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:18 PM ----------

Oh, and does anyone know what kind of kart this started out as?

dreman

Reaction score
I did a little quick research, and it does look like a Thunder Kart, with three main frame tubes front to rear, and the rear axle through the rear cross tube. And it looks like Thunder Karts came with clamp-on roll bars, too. I'm missing some pieces, but I'll be re-installing the roll cage, with a few additions of my own!

This is just the beginning. I would like to re-create (at least somewhat) one of the Formula SAE cars before I am done. I will probably have two or three in between here and there, and maybe a couple of Ariel Atom type street cars after.

dreman

Reaction score

---------- Post added at 01:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 PM ----------

New front wheels! I cut the hubs down on an old pair of lawn tractor wheels, popped bearings in, and they fit! Took it out last night and ran it until we got tired. No broken wheels!

KartFab

Reaction score
Gotta love those moving dolly tires for $6. The execs are harbor freight are laughing all the way to the bank every time someone buys their aluminum foil thin rims equipped with chalky rubber tires. Guaranteed to spin around at least once. They are so cheap I could buy like 6 for the price of an actual quality part.

Status
Not open for further replies.