John Deere sled??? whos heard of these things?

Status
Not open for further replies.

weirdarmadillo

Redneck
Reaction score
When i think John Deere, i think of tractors.
I had no clue they made sleds!

Anyways, i found a 1972 John Deere 500
From what ive researched, this thing has a twin cylinder, almost 400cc, 2 stroke engine.

I called the guy on it and he said its in great condition, everything is set to go besides the carb, specificaly the fuel pump check valve. Apparently it runs great once started.

Any one know some info on these things? not too much on the internet on this model.

He wants 50 bucks for it, i dont think i can go wrong with that. What do yall think?

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
Yup, they made quite a few different models, there was the sportfire, trailfire, liquidfire, cyclone, and a buncha other ones. they stopped making sleds in the early 80s.

Go for it, 50 bucks is a good deal. There neat sleds, not performance machines but would be cool to have.

freakboy

the names 'mater
Reaction score
my freinds kicking himself cause he had 2 trail fires but he sold em bolth.. i was gona buy one but he sold it to quickly...

joejoeguns

ya thats my bike
Reaction score
Not worth too much as a sled.The ones that get big money are the factory race machines,free air triples and the big bore twins with twin carbs.You'd spend more to restore it than it's worth,it's not worth while to make it cherry unless thats your thing.

weirdarmadillo

Redneck
Reaction score
huh, ill probably just keep it as is...but if it sits around long enough ill most likely pull the engine for a kart...but thats unlikely

What kind of clutch do these things use?

weirdarmadillo

Redneck
Reaction score
i figured...well, i couldnt get ahold of the guy today...yesterday he told me hed save it for me till today...so what the heck...ill try tommorow

Status
Not open for further replies.